Intel Pro/1000MT Nic (MTU set to 9000)
Ubuntu Server 8.10

Network includes:

Vista Business 64bit based workstation
Vista Home Premium based HTPC
XP Based Laptop
Linux Mint 5 based workstation
Ubuntu Server 8.10 based server

Seeing as the driver for the integrated nic doesn't support setting MTU's at my desired 9000 rate as it is with the rest of my home network I disabled it in the motherboard's bios & installed the Intel nic in its place.

Setting up a file share was a breeze but here si where the problem starts. Reading from the file share on any of the machines comes in at around 30Meg/sec which is lower than what I had hoped seeing that tranfer between the two Vista machines is closer to 60Meg/sec. This isn't the issue I'm bringing up here though.

Writing to the server share results in transfer that for a very brief moment starts at ~30meg/s then rapidly , in the space 1-2 seconds, seems to stall momentarily then slow down to somewhere between 1.5 & 3Meg/s. This transfer is not smooth at all stopping & starting in fits, for 1- seconds at a time, until the transfer is completed. This happens Windows->Linux & Linux->Linux btw.

This same issue happened with a ClarkConnect install and is also seen when transferring files to the Linux Mint 5 box as well.

Is this a Samba issue? Any insight or solutions would be very appreciated.

jonobr
November 22nd, 2008, 03:20 AM
Hello

Whats the MTu on you other system?
Just guessing but if there is a huge mismatch in MTU maybe it needs to throttle back to support the other system?

just a wag

kingnubian
November 22nd, 2008, 03:36 AM
Hello

Whats the MTu on you other system?
Just guessing but if there is a huge mismatch in MTU maybe it needs to throttle back to support the other system?

just a wag

9000 all around.

jonobr
November 22nd, 2008, 03:41 AM
oki, Ill get back in my box:-)

Recommend you try using something like iperf or similar to do some traffic testing and test on uplink/downlink tcp/udp and at different sizes

kingnubian
November 22nd, 2008, 07:03 AM
oki, Ill get back in my box:-)

Recommend you try using something like iperf or similar to do some traffic testing and test on uplink/downlink tcp/udp and at different sizes

Could you give me a quick rundown on how to do this?

kingnubian
November 23rd, 2008, 08:10 AM
Just for reference I installed SME server 8.0b3 and my Samba transfer speed are as good or better than with windows at 50-68Meg/s in each direction. This means it's got to be a config issue in 8.10 server.

Any insight would be very welcomed.

cariboo907
November 23rd, 2008, 09:38 AM
That problem has been around since hardy.

Iperf is available in the repositories. You install it on your server and run it as a server then install it on the other computers and test up/don transfer speeds. Iperf is also available for windows. For more info once you have installed iperf see:

man iperf

Jim

kingnubian
November 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
That problem has been around since hardy.

Iperf is available in the repositories. You install it on your server and run it as a server then install it on the other computers and test up/don transfer speeds. Iperf is also available for windows. For more info once you have installed iperf see:

man iperf

Jim

Thanks very much for the info.

If this is a known problem are there any indications that a solution is being worked on or available? As it stands now it is very frustrating.