PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GNOME thinks the trash isn't empty

dhuff
November 20th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Under Ubuntu 8.04, if you hover over the trash can icon in GNOME, it thinks there is one item in there. However, if you open the trash, it's empty.

My acct/group is the owner of ~/.local/share/Trash/ and everything under that. Permissions on that directory & its contents are set to 700. An "ls -la ~/.local/share/Trash/files" shows no files.

How do I get GNOME to update the current status of the trash can icon ? :confused:

Tamlynmac
November 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I had the same problem. I deleted the trash can and reinstalled from the "Add to Panel" the problem went away with the delete.

dhuff
November 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
OK, but did the problem reoccur the next time you added files to the trash, then right-clicked on the trash can icon to empty it ?

Tamlynmac
November 20th, 2008, 10:02 PM
No, the problem never resurfaced after replacement. I still don't know what caused it but after replacing, it never occurred again.

dhuff
November 20th, 2008, 10:20 PM
OK, I tried the same thing and it worked. The trash can icon now updates its status when emptied.

Cool, thanks :)

mister_p_1998
June 9th, 2010, 09:56 AM
So in a console window, I switched to root and did an rm -R -I for the each of the folders I wanted deleted. Success!!!
===============

you might find it easier to type sudo nautilus, and browse to the trash folder.
Steve