PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] editing grub on ubuntu server 8.04

drtanz
November 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
hi i would like to edit my grub so that it will load windows by default instead of my ubuntu server. how can i do this? thanks

MJN
November 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM
If you post your /boot/grub/menu.lst file then we can tell you what parameter to change (and what to).

Alternatively, I could just tell you that it's the 'default' directive that needs to be changed however you need to be aware that the numbering starts at zero and that section dividers count as a line towards numbering each menu statement.

If you want to try it, reboot your machine and hit Escape at the Grub prompt - find the XP entry and note its position - remember start counting at zero and include dividers as an entry - then edit the 'default' directive accordingly.

For example, the following would require default 3 to load XP.

(0) Ubuntu
(1) Ubuntu (Recovery)
(2) --- Other OS's ---
(3) XP

Incidentally, whilst you're at it you might want to change the 'timeout' setting as required, along with commenting out 'hiddenmenu' if you want the menu to always appear (without pressing Escape).

Mathew

drtanz
November 20th, 2008, 09:06 PM
tried to use gedit to get to the menu.lst file but apparently gedit is not installed and i havent yet managed to get internet access on the server yet. is there another way to get into that file and edit it? thanks

jamb
November 20th, 2008, 09:39 PM
tried to use gedit to get to the menu.lst file but apparently gedit is not installed and i havent yet managed to get internet access on the server yet. is there another way to get into that file and edit it? thanks

In a terminal type
cd /boot/grub
sudo nano menu.lst