PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing KDE without cluttering up Gnome

joey-elijah
November 20th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Is there a simple method to install KDE without having Gnome's menus populated with Kthis and Kthat?

(Yeh i could always uncheck them from mainmenu, but just wondering if there's a simpler installation.)

snova
November 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Install the kde-core package instead of kde or kubuntu-desktop.

I also suggest this because kde somehow depends on a MySQL server and kubuntu-desktop depends on Kubuntu branding, which I don't like over brown Ubuntu.

simtaalo
November 20th, 2008, 07:27 PM

I also suggest this because kde somehow depends on a MySQL server and kubuntu-desktop depends on Kubuntu branding, which I don't like over brown Ubuntu.

will this give you the option to boot into either gnome or kde on startup?

snova
November 20th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Yes. There's a menu to choose what DE you want to use when you login.

Remember the default is whichever one you used previously.

olejorgen
November 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
That's probably a good idea, but doesn't solve the problem?

Back when I was using kde/gnome I was wondering the same myself but couldn't find a solution.

SuperSonic4
November 20th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Yeah, you can dual boot ubuntu and kubuntu. This would be the cleanest way but there'd be no app interaction

snova
November 20th, 2008, 07:59 PM
That's probably a good idea, but doesn't solve the problem?

Back when I was using kde/gnome I was wondering the same myself but couldn't find a solution.

Is there a problem? I'm confused. This package depends on a minimal installation of KDE, including Plasma and everything else needed to use it, and hopefully not much else. This is what the OP wanted, and answers his request as far as I can tell.

'kde' depends on several other metapackages that eventually install all the Kthis and Kthat the OP didn't want. kubuntu-desktop depends on even more.

Dual-booting two installations of Ubuntu is be pretty pointless from my point of view, since most of it would be precisely the same. The only difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu is the default set of packages installed. By removing some and adding others, it is possible to go from one to the other.

olejorgen
November 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM
The problem as I see it is that we don't want eg. koffice entries in the menu when we're using gnome. Installing a minimal set of packages is better than notthing, but doesn't solve the problem

snova
November 20th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I must have misunderstood the original question. I thought he was trying to get a minimal KDE install, not separate the menus.

If you're trying to keep KDE programs only on the KDE menus, I don't know what to do. The Gnome and KDE menus are syncronized, although I think you can edit one without changing the other.

Oops.

kdw
November 21st, 2008, 12:05 AM
Is there a simple method to install KDE without having Gnome's menus populated with Kthis and Kthat?

(Yeh i could always uncheck them from mainmenu, but just wondering if there's a simpler installation.)
Depends on your definition of "simple method" :-) To clean up after installing KDE, here's a link to a tutorial with a script "menu-cleaner.sh".

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/07/18/removing-kde-icons-in-gnome-remove-gnome-icons-in-kde/

Ran fine on 8.0.4. Haven't tried it on 8.10 yet.

olejorgen
November 21st, 2008, 12:16 AM
Not very nice, but good enough I guess. Thanks