PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] accessing mounted shares?

shmish
November 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Hi,
I'm able to mount a smb share with fstab, and then access it using the console. However, I have problems when trying to use the gnome gui. If I understand things correctly, I should be able to go to Places - Network and see my share. What I see on Network is "Freenas", which seems to be a ftp connection to my NAS, and "Windows Network". The ftp connection times out, and if I go to the windows network I can eventually browse to the share but it needs to be mounted again this way. I don't see any place where I can browse to the share that is already mounted.

Example
fstab mounts this:
//192.168.100.148/Fileserver /media cifs username=sluggo,password=8765,noexec 0 0 such that using the console I can go to /media/ and view the contents.

whereas if I browse I go this route: windows network -> networkname -> Freenas -> Fileserver

Any suggestions?

thanks

akudewan
November 20th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Huh...you should be going to /media/ from Gnome, and not Network.
(Places > Computer > Filesystem > media)

Once something is mounted (whether a network share, or any other media), it can be accessed as a part of the local filesystem.

Btw, it might be a good idea to create a subfolder under /media for your mount. Gnome automatically mounts removable media under /media, so it might create a problem if you don't have a subfolder.

superprash2003
November 20th, 2008, 05:02 PM
thats right you should have a /media/foldername not just a /media

shmish
November 20th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Yikes, you're right. I'm pretty new to this so when I first opened "Places" I didn't catch the filesystem folder. When I open that I see the /media folder.

thanks