PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Using Webmin for the first time

andydurham
November 20th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Hiya

Success! I finally got ubuntu server 8.10 installed with php and apache. However Ive been told that webmin is a good tool for managing your server, hosting your website, ftp, postifx email etc.

Ive installed it and i goto to my login for it but Im then greeted with a screen full of options and Im a bit lost. Can anyone point me in the right direction of first time user set up of webhosting/email/ftp etc and where do I upload my index file/my own website to the server? Im a little confused at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

daboroe
November 20th, 2008, 01:46 PM
you can run as is. you should already have LAMP installed and what not. Webmin you can manage all of your servers such as mysql, apache, postfix, etc. Also you can monitor other things. I recently had issues with VMware and now moving over to virtual box. Today I will be reinstalling everything. After I get everything installed I can help you out.

On a side note, if you are going to be using mysql databases I would install phpmyadmin. This will allow you to manage your databases through a web interface which is alot easier then doing everything through command prompt.

Thanks

daboroe