PDA

View Full Version : How do I install The Sims?

wlankatt
December 4th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I'm trying to install the first The Sims. I don't understand anything about how I can install it. Can anyone tell me what to do? :confused:

Leif
December 4th, 2005, 11:59 AM
you will most likely need to install cedega : http://www.transgaming.com/

windows games don't play out of the box in linux

wlankatt
December 4th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Is that the only way? :???:

Leif
December 4th, 2005, 06:45 PM
I can't answer that I'm afraid, since I don't play the sims. you could try using wine to install it. look for it in synaptic, install it, and then run the install file for sims using "wine setup.exe" (obviously replace setup.exe as necessary). I have a feeling you'll need cedega tho.

wlankatt
December 4th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I've tried that before, but it didn't work. :/

Turgon
December 5th, 2005, 01:44 PM
To play sims you will have to use ether cedega or cvscedega (the free developent version).

I have tried to use it in cedega and the install itsself went okey, but I can't play it with more than max 15 fps, and the person is inviceble most of the time.

This is on a ATI card. If you got a nVidea card it might turn out better.

So if you have a good nvidia card and 15$ I would give it a go, but don't expect miracles.

alynx
December 5th, 2005, 02:35 PM
i would have installed Wine , the same way as under the WOWHOWTO thread. If it that doesn't work , try Cedega if you are in absolute need

Shenanegins
July 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Neither of these options (Cedega or wine) will work. I have the Sims Complete Collection, and I've tried about everything with wine, and can't ever get past switching to cd 2 during the install. I didn't subscribe to Cedega, but they list The Sims in their games database as non-playable.