PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Does a PCMCIA modem with chipset Intel Ambient MD5661AM-V101 work in Ubuntu?

uganda
November 20th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I have been unable to get the Winmodem in my laptop to work despite paying $20 for the full speed Linuxant driver, so now I'm looking at buying an external one and found one that says it supports Linux.

It says the chipset is: Intel Ambient MD5661AM-V101 (comprises MD5661DT-L-A DSP, MD4551C-VC-B Controller & MD1724-11VC-B DAA)

I am a total newbie to Linux/Ubuntu - will this work out of the box or will I have to do something complicated like install or compile a driver?

Many thanks to whoever replies - I have been very frustrated in my efforts to switch from Windows to Ubuntu. I really want to get rid of Windows, but I need a working dial-up solution!

Thanks!

uganda
November 30th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Yay :) ...I did buy the modem and works first time as ttyS0, just had to set it manually, because it still defaulted to my Conexant-based soft modem ttySHSF0 which doesn't work (despite Linuxant drivers).

ByteJuggler
November 30th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks for posting this. Soft/Winmodems are generally avoided (pretty crappy) and I've had my share of headaches as a result. Useful to know of proper working hardware based modems that support Linux.