PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] impossible to activate graphic acceleration with intel graphic chip

el_Nacho
November 19th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Hi there, i am so f*#?="ng frustated not being able to get my ubuntu run properly. here is the thing. since the last 2 versions or so ubuntu recognizes my graphics card so i don't have to install this 915 resolution tool anymore. the graphic acceleration though doesn't work. that makes my system run ****** even in that low resources mode (which i don't really want to use) or run xfce.

installing these drivers http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_Graphics_Media_Accelerator_900 was my last shot but the script tells me there are no kernel headers even though i've got the package installed.

in the device section of my xorg.cong my graphic card is just called "configured video device" instead of i810

these packages mentioned somewhere as supposed to help but just don't: xserver-xorg-video-intel - libgl1-mesa-glx - libgl1-mesa-dri

I am running Intrepid, my graphic chip is a intel media accelerator 900.

Please help, i just want to get rid of my windows you know :-&

Thanks in advance!!!!!

el_Nacho
November 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I think i figured out something, according to this bloke http://blog.csdn.net/givemeliu/archive/2008/11/07/3249848.aspx
the i810 allocates only 8mb of the shared memory by default. that makes perfect sence cause my system lacks the same way when i activate compiz with lots of effects and when i run in low resources mode. now i need to figure out how i can tell ubuntu to allocate more memory for graphics and maybe change the color depth.

does anyone know how to do that?

by the way, is it normal that my swap space is always at 0% ??

Yezinki
November 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Check your BIOS........other wise your stuck.

amauk
November 20th, 2008, 08:48 PM
yeah, in the BIOS there's usually an option to specify the "graphics aperture" size (the amount of memory given over to the integrated chip)

see if you can alter it

also, Re: swap usage
yes 0% is normal
means the OS is not short of physical memory, and doesn't have to page out

el_Nacho
November 20th, 2008, 10:58 PM
my bios doesn't have any options like that, already had a look :/
will try to update the version tomorrow though ...

i've put this option into xorg.conf
VideoRam 32768
but eventhough gnome accepts that and starts there is no change, not with 32 nor with 65536 and so on :(

can someone explain to me why adding
Driver "i810"
to my xorg.conf doesn't work? the xserver-xorg-video-intel package is installed and thats supposed to be the driver. it simply looks like this:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

:confused:

Yezinki
November 21st, 2008, 07:26 AM
Get your BIOS updated, if possible....most likely you are stuck up with the OEM's dedicated video memory!

el_Nacho
November 21st, 2008, 09:13 AM
alright, will do.

i achieved a lot of performance by adding

DefaultDepth 16

to the screen section in my xorg.cong since i've read acceleration with th 810 only works at 16 bit. now compiz won't work anymore but FINALLY i have an environment wich actually allows me to work.

thanks to you guys for your quick answers

Yezinki
November 21st, 2008, 09:39 AM
Hope your issue gets resolved to your needs!

Regards,

Yezinki.

Yezinki
November 21st, 2008, 10:11 AM
128 MB is good enough for Ubuntu with no visual effects performance........but not enough to use emerald, Compiz, desktop customization.....they shall work but your screen shall start to hang/freeze.......wont be smooth........sluggish.

Happened with me.

Regards,

Yezinki.

Yezinki
November 21st, 2008, 10:20 AM
1. add to panel CPU frequency & scaling.

2. Click on it & check performance.

3. For both CPU 0 & CPU 1.

Regards,

Yezinki.

Yezinki
November 21st, 2008, 10:25 AM
Screen shots for your views.