PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Proxy settings not being removed

zaipai
November 19th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I have a bit of an issue I was hoping for help with.. I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (fresh install from CD) I took my laptop to work and used the network proxy program to set the proxy we use at work. Now I am at home and I used the same program to remove the proxy settings and I have no trouble surfing to any website or getting e-mails. The problem is when I try running update or Synaptic Package Manager or even Google earth I get an error saying that it can not find the proxy. I checked in the programs and no proxy is set yet I get the error with the proxy name in the error. It must be stuck in some file and I just don't know where.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jenesis
December 15th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you - I am replying in the hope that someone knowledgeable about these things will see it, as I have exactly the same problem! I am at home for the holidays, and while Firefox works fine with no proxy, Synaptics keeps trying to connect to my University proxy, even though I have set it to Direct Connection in Preferences -> Network.

The System-Wide setting is also "Direct Connection" so I don't know where Synaptics is getting its proxy from...

preston1958
December 21st, 2008, 07:05 PM
I need to jump on this wagon as well - with the exact same issue. All of my proxy settings (Browsers, Network, Synaptic Package manager) are set to 'Direct Connection', and yet the package manager continues to look for the proxy I used when the system was originally installed at work. Now I'm at home.

scottishnarn
December 24th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I've also got the same problem. Proxy for work but I can't get anything other than firefox to work without the proxies.