PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where to find installed apps?

unsp0ken
November 19th, 2008, 03:48 AM
I've only had Ubuntu for a couple of days and had a question regarding software installation and running the software. I've installed software such as tightvnc, smalldev, etc. through Synaptic. Once they are successfully installed, how do i run the software? They don't appear in the applications list. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

sauce345
November 19th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I know one way to start programs on the command prompt by just typing their name. For example if you wanted to open firefox, just type firefox and it open the program. You might want to check under Applications -> Add/Remove to see if the program is actually installed.

p_quarles
November 19th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I've only had Ubuntu for a couple of days and had a question regarding software installation and running the software. I've installed software such as tightvnc, smalldev, etc. through Synaptic. Once they are successfully installed, how do i run the software? They don't appear in the applications list. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
A few places to look:
1) Some applications are added to the menu, but not enabled there by default. To find these, right-click on the Ubuntu icon. This will allow you to edit the menu, and enable items that are currently hidden.

2) Most applications installed by Synaptic are placed in /usr/bin. If you know the exact name of an application, you can usually locate it by typing:

which firefox
This will return the full path to the program requested:

/usr/bin/firefox
3) If you don't know the exact name, you can search for it with the terms you do know:

apropos tightvnc
This will return the names of applications whose description includes the word "tightvnc."