PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Iomega ZIP 100 parallel port drive

w1av
November 19th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I have an IOMEGA ZIP 100 parallel port external drive that I would like to be able to use while in UBUNTU. Is there any way to get this device recognized? Since it isn't USB it is difficult to find a way to get it working. Can anyone help???? Thanks....:KS

ciscosurfer
November 19th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Yikes! That's a bit antiquated (no offense intended).

[Disclaimer: I don't work at/for newegg and I rarely shop there]

This doesn't answer your question, but I'm a subscriber to newegg.com and get incredible discounts. For instance, a Corsair 16GB flash drive normally sells for $69.99. Because I'm a subscriber, I get a discount at $39.99, and with a $20 mail-in rebate that brings it down to $19.99.

Heck, you can buy a 64GB version retail for $169.00

My advice would be to update :-D

EDIT: This google search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=IOMEGA+ZIP+100+parallel+port+external+drive+site %3Aubuntuforums.org&as_qdr=all&btnG=Search) provided me with 10 links that you may find helpful. Good luck!

nufros
November 24th, 2008, 06:09 PM
It might be antiquated, but sometimes you can have files on old zip disks that you might want to put on your new computer (ones that you didn't store online or burn to a cd or dvd for whatever reason--- forgotten files, etc)

I just decided to try to add my old zip100 to the compy and see what I could find off a box of disks in the attic from my high school days... (should be interesting lol)

My zip drive has parallel ports on the back and I still remember how to hook it up (for Windows 95...) but I'm wondering if I attach it with a usb adapter will it work? (and will it mount automatically the way an ipod or a flash drive will?)

cariboo
November 24th, 2008, 08:11 PM
If your computer doesn't have a paralell printer port, you may be out of luck. I've tried using a paralell to usb adapter several times and really never had much luck with them. They work, but there is always some funtionality that isn't there.

If you do have a paralell port all you have to do is hook up the device and it should work. I've got all three types of zip drives (unused) ide, paralell and usb. They all work out of the box.

Jim

nufros
November 24th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks Jim,
I hooked it up throught the parallel port same as on the old windows95, and it does work right away... except only on XP :( (I have a dual boot)... when I put a disk in on there it's recognized automatically (assigned a drive lettter and shows up in windows explorer)... is there a way to get it recognized automatically on Ubuntu (to show up in /media or in Places)?

ciscosurfer
November 24th, 2008, 11:38 PM
You could copy the zip files onto your XP partition or drive then mount the XP partition or drive inside Ubuntu and have access to these files. You can install ntfs-config (in the repos) and it will help you setup the mount point, label, etc.

nufros
November 25th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Yeah, since I don't really use it I'll probably do just that...

maybe I'll try hooking up the old Star NX 1001 now lol

HDTimeshifter
December 19th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I just hooked up an external Zip-100 drive to an Ubuntu ***puter and it doesn't recognize it even after rebooting. Both lights on the drive do light up however.

My other Ubuntu ***puter has an internal IDE Zip-100 drive and I am able to read and write to it.

Wow, Star NX 1001 - I think that was the printer my dad bought to print from his first PC-clone. Remember PC-DOS? That's going back to high school. Zip drives didn't even exist until around the time I bought my 1st non-Mac PC in '97, well after college.