View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant run live disk

November 18th, 2008, 09:39 PM

im trying to run a live disk on my pc and i can get to the screen were it asks me what i want to do on the disk i select "run ubuntu without making any changes to my computer"
so i press on that and it shows the ubuntu loading screen then its goes to a black screen and asks for commands ? so i press help and it comes up with a big list of commands but i cant get it to boot. i tryed it on my laptop and the same disk worked fine but not on my PC any one got any idea ? please?

November 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM
sounds like its dropping you to the command line because it cant boot the GUI, or something buggers up before it gets to that stage. are there any error messages on the black screen?

post the spec of your computer. occasionally, certain graphics cards trigger bugs. also, what version of ubuntu are you trying to boot?

November 18th, 2008, 10:01 PM
im trying to run 8.10 ubuntu and my graphics card is a NIVIDIA or something

November 18th, 2008, 10:23 PM
What are the specs on your computer, processor, RAM, etc?

November 18th, 2008, 10:34 PM
the processor is a 3ghz processor , 1gb of ram , intel pentium D , i got about 138gb...left

November 18th, 2008, 11:35 PM
no wait my graphic card is a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 Se

November 19th, 2008, 12:13 AM
With those specs it's certainly not a resource problem. There are several complaints in the forums about that video card not working with the Live CD. You might want to search the forums to see if any of those discussions are helpful.