PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How To: Wireless on a Fujitsu Siemens Li 2727 notebook

randysparks
November 18th, 2008, 08:22 PM
This should work for all the annoying notebooks in the Fujitsu Siemens range that require a special software switch to activate wifi, although it's only tested on an Li2727 notebook.

These steps are nice and easy. No compiling modules, as the other (older) guides suggest. Please post links to this guide wherever you find these outdated guides.

EDIT: If using Jaunty (9.04), there's no need for step 1 & 2. Just skip straight to step 3.

1. Get online via an Ethernet cable and use Synaptic to install either of these packages (hit the Reload button before installing, as you should always do):

linux-backports-modules-hardy
linux-backports-modules-intrepid

Get the Hardy one if you're using Ubuntu 8.04, or the Intrepid one if you're using Ubuntu 8.10.

2. Update the system (sudo apt-get update, or use the program on the System -> Administration menu).

3. You can now go online straight away, although only until you reboot, by typing the following into a terminal window:

sudo modprobe acerhk
echo on > /proc/driver/acerhk/wirelessled

Wait a few seconds for wifi networks to appear in Networkmanager. Note that they won't appear instantly.

However, to make the change permanent, you'll need to do the following:

Open a terminal window and type the following to edit /etc/modules:

sudo nano /etc/modules

4. Add a new line at the end that reads simply

acerhk

Save the file (Ctrl+X, Y, hit Enter).

5. Create a new text file as follows:

sudo nano /etc/rc2.d/S19wifiactivate

In the new text file, type the following:

echo on > /proc/driver/acerhk/wirelessled

Save the file (Ctrl+X, Y, Enter).

6. Type the following to make your new file executable

sudo chmod +x /etc/rc2.d/S19wifiactivate

7. Reboot. When Ubuntu returns to service you should now have wireless working fine. No need to enable it using the keyboard shortcut.

To control the screen brightness, just add the Brightness applet to any panel. The keyboard shortcut keys don't work.

super.rad
December 18th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Thanks I'd tried so many guides to get the wireless working on my gf's new laptop and none of them had worked. This was by far the easiest and worked perfectly

suspicion4u
December 18th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Not to crash the parade on anybody else's how to but I lost the widgets panel and my desktop in kde's version of intrepid ibex and I cant seem to get it back after trying almost this whole week so if somebody could assist with that it'll be greatly appreciated. Im sure its something simple but its just not coming to me

zeroms
January 25th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Great job!
Thank you!

P.S.: One more thing needed if it is possible and someone from here know how can I set up to work the Fn+F1 to turn on/off the Wireless? (Sometimes I'm using wired connection)

iklein
February 17th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Great thanks!
You are my savior!!!

randysparks
February 24th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Great job!
Thank you!

P.S.: One more thing needed if it is possible and someone from here know how can I set up to work the Fn+F1 to turn on/off the Wireless? (Sometimes I'm using wired connection)

To turn off the wifi, you should be able to type the following:

sudo echo off > /proc/driver/acerhk/wirelessled

It looks like there's still no support for the Li2727's hotkeys in any version of Ubuntu :(

iklein
February 28th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I found "acerhk-source" in Synaptic. This driver will give access to the special keys which are not handled by the keyboard driver. It should work on Fujitsu-Siemens.

Try.

iklein
March 1st, 2009, 03:09 PM
It doesn't work on my 2727.

super.rad
March 7th, 2009, 11:11 PM
This worked for me on intrepid until there was a kernel update, now I'm using Jaunty and have followed the guide again and after rebooting the wireless led is on but ubuntu shows no wireless devices. Before I tried this guide it could see the wireless card but it never worked (and the led was never on) any suggestions?

anastuta
April 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
@ randysparks, :guitar:

Thanks for the guidance, it worked for me, Fujitsu Siemens Amilo PA 3515, for wireless. Now I am writing this message wireless connected. Of course I have Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty i686.

thanks again ):P

heyho
April 13th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Many thanks randysparks.

Worked for me ( Amilo Li 1718 ) on intrepid. After a couple of weeks fiddling, this finally sorted the issue.

I already had ath5k via backports, but was struggling to activate the card - I am a happy man!

calrogman
May 24th, 2009, 01:49 PM
This does not work on the Li 2735.

cj13579
June 4th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Great guide. Thank you very much! :D

fonorobert
June 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Hi everyone. I tried several guides, and had several problem. For this one, I had the following:

when I type in the terminal

sudo modprobe acerhk

It returns : FATAL module acerhk not found.

Help me! what to do?

Pls. Write to me to angol.informatika@gmail.com
thx

Dragonfi
July 2nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
I have the exact same problem fonorobert decribed:

$ sudo modprobe acerhk
FATAL: Module acerhk not found.

Also I run Ubuntu 9.04 64bit

Now searching on how to get the module...

UPDATE:
I found a package named acerhk-source. I guess it's the source code for it, but I dont know exacly how to create the kernel module from it.

UPDATE:
I have managed to build it. Now I only have to figure out how to use it correctley...

UPDATE:
I kind of lost the threads somewhere.. I hope someone would be able to sort them out for me.

De Baimbo
July 27th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks a lot, this nearly worked for me on Li 2727.
The problem now is that it always disconnects after a couple of minutes! And I always have to try several times to get it connected again.
Since I am on Ubuntu 9.04 I skipped the first two points of the guide, are you sure I don't need those packages?

Dragonfi
July 28th, 2009, 08:40 AM
the acerhk module is already loaded (I fiddled with it a while back), but when I send on to the wirelessled, nothing happens.

I have the ath5k module inserted too, the wireless device is properly detected. ( I can see it in lshw and iwconfig ).

Any ideas? Also, any request for more information? ( output of modprobe and such )

De Baimbo
July 28th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I installed the package linux-backports-modules-jaunty but the problem remains, it disconnects every 2 minutes.
By the way, I am always working with my laptop really close to the router, so that the signal is strong.

Dragonfi
July 28th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I've tried using the acer-wmi module, and it works ( for me at least, using Ubuntu 9.04)

Megaptera
August 11th, 2009, 05:54 PM
randysparks,
thanks so much for that guide it worked spot on first time on my son's Amilo Li2727 laptop. He'd been desperate to try out Linux Mint and your guide made it possible!!

Many thanks from the two of us.

MLicense
August 28th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I love you! I spent best part of a day and a half trying to get the wireless working on this!

Thanks so much.

mckooiker
November 15th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I'm working on my amilo Li 2732 now, and since ubuntu 9.04, the only thing you have to do to het the wireless working is:
1) get rid of the ath_pci module (sudo rmmod ath_pci)
2) activate acer-wmi module (sudo modprobe acer-wmi)

hamstermoon
December 9th, 2009, 03:35 PM
When I did that (Mine is a 2727 apparently when I looked under the comp!) says 'module ath_pci does not exist in /proc/modules'

I am working on Karmic so I am not sure if that is the problem?

cj13579
December 9th, 2009, 03:43 PM
When I did that (Mine is a 2727 apparently when I looked under the comp!) says 'module ath_pci does not exist in /proc/modules'

I am working on Karmic so I am not sure if that is the problem?

I am using a 1718 but followed this guide when on Jaunty and it worked perfectly. You may find that this, although for the 1718, works for you:

http://www.edbl.no/karmic/amilo_1718_wireless_in_ubuntu_9.10.txt

Cookiecraig
December 10th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I'm working on the Amilo 2735, Does this guide differ in any way?

I haven't tried yet because it seems to complicated.

Alethi0
January 3rd, 2010, 03:05 PM
Tried on Ubuntu 9.10, didn't seem to work. Restarted, no Wireless LED and wireless not working at all. Any ideas?

cj13579
January 3rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Tried on Ubuntu 9.10, didn't seem to work. Restarted, no Wireless LED and wireless not working at all. Any ideas?

Have you tried using this quide for 9.10:

http://www.edbl.no/karmic/amilo_1718...buntu_9.10.txt

Seraphica
February 5th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I did it on my friends laptop and it worked. ;) He was using Ubuntu 9.04. After the upgrade to 9.10 the wireless wasn't working anymore. :( I believe it didn't have "acerhk" anymore. Does anyone else know something about this? What can i do to get wireless back working? Do i need to find a way to install "acerhk" again and then use the same method to get wireless to work? Please help.

narel (at) utumno
April 17th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I've just installed 10.04 (beta2) on F-S Li 2727 and wifi still doesn't work by default. But this should help:

modprobe -r ath5k
modprobe acer_wmi
modprobe ath5k

erriqk
May 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM
and wat should I do, before I am using these commands?

Matt__
May 16th, 2010, 08:57 PM
there is a very simple hardware hack to overcome the wireless signal kill on the Amilo 2727 li (Atheros AR5001 to 5005) that involves less than 5 mins with a screwdriver and a piece of masking tape.
Ive tried it and it works a dream

Instructions can be found here (http://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34742)

queBurro
May 17th, 2010, 10:02 PM
ok, for anyone googling and ending up here, there's a bios update (1.10) for the Amilo li2727 that leaves the wireless in an enabled state which seems to have fixed the hotkey problem :)

black87
June 20th, 2010, 03:37 AM
I've just installed 10.04 (beta2) on F-S Li 2727 and wifi still doesn't work by default. But this should help:

modprobe -r ath5k
modprobe acer_wmi
modprobe ath5k

Even though I'm a man, I want to have your babies. Thanks! =D>

Finally got wireless working using this on my AmiloPa3515

mx18bp
May 10th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Re: How To: Wireless on a Fujitsu Siemens Li 2727 notebook

modprobe -r ath5k
modprobe acer_wmi
modprobe ath5k

This also helped me on my amilo 2727, so I my screwdriver could be left in its case!

Rankin1
May 22nd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Does this work with the new Ubuntu 11.04