PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] power spontaneously shuts down in graphical mode

redpillstl
November 18th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Hi,

I have a dual boot laptop (a toshiba m35x-s149) running windows xp pro and ubuntu 8.04.1. When I boot in graphical mode it spontaneously shuts down at the 30 second mark after login.

Booting in recovery mode gets me to Text mode just fine. no spontaneous shutdown.

How do i diagnose what is happening?

thanks,
redpillstl

icanfly0307
November 18th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Hi,

I have a dual boot laptop (a toshiba m35x-s149) running windows xp pro and ubuntu 8.04.1. When I boot in graphical mode it spontaneously shuts down at the 30 second mark after login.

Booting in recovery mode gets me to Text mode just fine. no spontaneous shutdown.

How do i diagnose what is happening?

thanks,
redpillstl

Hi, what do you mean by spontaneous shutdown? Does the entire computer power itself off without warning? Do you have the same type of problems in XP?

redpillstl
November 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Hi, what do you mean by spontaneous shutdown? Does the entire computer power itself off without warning? Do you have the same type of problems in XP?

Does the entire computer power itself off without warning? yes
Do you have the same type of problems in XP? no
and it makes no difference on battery or AC power

thanks,
redpillstl

aurelieng
November 18th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Overheating, maybe ?

Are you using binary drivers and/or desktop effects ? Are your fans clean and silent when you do nothing particular, or are they dirty and blowing at full speed when you enter the graphical mode ? Does the room temperature has an impact ?

redpillstl
November 18th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Overheating, maybe ?

Are you using binary drivers and/or desktop effects ? Are your fans clean and silent when you do nothing particular, or are they dirty and blowing at full speed when you enter the graphical mode ? Does the room temperature has an impact ?

I don't think so. Fans are clean and silent.

I am pretty convinced it is a software issue.

how can i go back and look at the logs to get a clue?

thanks,
redpillstl

icanfly0307
November 19th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Try creating a new user account and logging into that. If your lappy doesn't shut down on you, it's your current user account that's the issue.

redpillstl
November 23rd, 2008, 10:05 AM
Try creating a new user account and logging into that. If your lappy doesn't shut down on you, it's your current user account that's the issue.

problem still present

redpillstl

icanfly0307
November 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
problem still present

redpillstl

Hmmmmmm... Would backing up your files and reinstalling Ubuntu be an option? That would solve the issue.

redpillstl
November 30th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Hmmmmmm... Would backing up your files and reinstalling Ubuntu be an option? That would solve the issue.

That was the first thing i tried.

thanks.

redpillstl

redpillstl
January 1st, 2009, 06:54 PM
hi

I did some reinstalls of earlier versions

and determined the following:

7.04 works just fine
7.10 has same symptoms as 8.04

I think it is time to file a bug report.

redpillstl

iSKUNK!
November 11th, 2009, 07:26 AM
It's a buggy BIOS that's likely the problem. See this bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/242400) for details.

Upgrading the BIOS to Toshiba's latest should do the trick.