PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disconnected after restart

Nyod
November 18th, 2008, 01:36 PM
first of all hi :)

I am a two-day user of Ubuntu and been pretty satisfied so far, but I have this problem. If I restart my computer (or if I come back from standby mode)
I'm getting disconnected from the wired.
Things I've tried : Removing cable and attaching it again
The only solution so far is to shut down completely the computer, wait for a few moments then turn it on again.

I'm using dsl connection with Ethernet cable.

could you please help? thanks!

-nyod

Nyod
November 21st, 2008, 11:46 AM
Anyone??????//

Please, I have to restart or shut down 20 times to get this to work
:(

Flexo87
November 21st, 2008, 12:22 PM
Hi!

Is your internet connection using DHCP? there's a file where the connection settings are written in order to be loaded at boot time, it's "/etc/networking/interfaces" check it! You can edit it manually (you may need root privileges to modify the content, type: sudo gedit /etc/networking/interfaces):

If you're using DHCP:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

If you're using static IP assignment:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.x.x
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.x.x

Change "eth0" with your device name, and in the last case put the correct IP for your machine and the gateway (router IP).
after editing the file restart the network with the following command:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

that's should be fine.

Nyod
November 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM
yes I'm using DHCP...

ok after I did what you told me, it seems to work fine. I will let you know if there's a problem, thanks again!

-nyod

GAJAN
March 9th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I also experience connection problems: usually on startup no connection is found, and I have to manually connect to the wired network, using the NetworkManager Applet (0.7.0). The checkmark next to the default connection (Auto eth0) is not activated at this time, and after clicking it takes quite some time before the connection is established.

But after editing my "/etc/network/interfaces" by adding the lines suggested above

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

after restart no connection was found at all, and the network manager applet did not even show up....
Deleting the added lines re-enabled the network manager, but connecting to the wired network still requires a manual step.

Any ideas?

GAJAN