PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Simply cannot get networking to work on Ubuntu 8.04

tehsnipes
November 18th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Hello,

I recently installed Intrepid on my dv2000 after a long hiatus from Linux and it was a disaster. Hardy took a lot of modifying but I managed to get almost everything working. One is the networking. I tried everything on this forum, I've browsed 100's of threads and it's really frustrating. The problem is that I cannot cannot connect to windows shares from my HP Dv2000 w/ Broadcom 4311 wireless. I tried everything such as editing smb.conf, reinstalling samba. I couldn't even connect to it in intrepid but now I can. The only problem is that I keep getting plagued by password requests. Even though I enter in the properly configured username and password it doesn't work. I press cancel and get the
Cannot diplay smb://desktop/files

Error: Failed to mount Windows share
Please select another viewer and try again.

PLease help. What I don't understand is why the developers changed the networking from gutsy. My laptop ran gutsy and everything worked flawlessly. Networking was incredible and intuitive and is one of the core reasons for which I chose to install Linux. This is quite frustrating and disappointing :(

****EDIT****
Yes they can ping each other. I tried.

cariboo907
November 18th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Have you created an smbpasswd for your user name?

Jim

tehsnipes
November 18th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Have you created an smbpasswd for your user name?

Jim

yes I have I ran the

sudo smbpasswd -L -a
and
sudo smbpasswd -L -e

and got the output that the user was enabled.

tehsnipes
November 20th, 2008, 03:58 AM
*bump*

still no progress. I keep getting the password dialog but cannot connect even though I provide the correct password. When I press cancel I get a

Couldn't display "smb://desktop/files/"
Error: Failed to mount Windows share
Please select another viewer and try again.

superprash2003
November 20th, 2008, 04:54 PM
you dont need to install samba if you are accessing a windows share.. is this windows share accessible from another windows pc?