PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Need new keyboard/mouse...suggestions please

GmAz
November 18th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I broke my keyboard, well, demolished it actually, and need a new one and I've not been happy with my MX1000 mouse since I can't get all the buttons to work right and some buttons can't be changed.

Anywho, what are some suggestions for a good WIRELESS keyboard and mouse combo. The more buttons on the mouse the better, hopefully too that can be customized completely.

The keyboard isn't too important. I would like volume control on it, and maybe audio controls. Thats it really.

I don't want to spend too much either, but any suggestions will be appreciated. I just want something that works well with linux and doesn't take a ton of configuring to get it to work. I'd like it to kind of work out of the box if possible.

sgleo87
November 18th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Sorry to hear you didn't have too much success with configuring your Logitech MX1000 mouse. I have one myself and I have all the buttons working and configured to my liking using xbindkeys as described in this guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MX1000Mouse.

I don't know if I can really help you with recommending a keyboard and mouse combo. First of all, your description of what you want kind of confuses me. On one hand you want a mouse with as many buttons as possible that you can customize (btw the MX1000 is definitely one of the mice if not the mouse that has the most buttons on it) but on the other hand you want something that works out of the box and doesn't need any configuration to work. Usually only the simple mice and keyboards work out of the box because they do not have the special extra buttons that need any configuration. And if you get a mouse like the MX1000 you can't really make all those buttons work out of the box without some configuration that you have to do since everybody will assign the buttons to different functions and uses.

I think you will have to decide whether you want something simple without extra buttons that will just work or if you want something with a lot of buttons that you can customize but you will have to spend the time to configure them (which shouldn't be too hard; I personally found configuring the MX1000 buttons pretty easy and straightforward using the guide).

Not personally owning a wireless keyboard/mouse combo (I use a Logitech G15 and the MX1000) I can only say that I really like Logitech products and have always been satisfied with them. But they are usually not the cheapest (I don't know how much you consider too much).

GmAz
November 19th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the reply. I kinda figured any mouse with a lot of buttons would be a configuration. But was hoping there was one or two out there that was made with linux support.

Could you post your .xbindkeysrc file please. I'd like to see how you set yours and basically what commands you used. I couldn't find any real guide or tutorial and I'm not sure if I was using the correct values exactly. The only button I could get to work the way I want was the middle button on the side between the back and forward button. I have it set to F2 so I can rename stuff with a mouse button. Everything else won't accept any changes. Its kinda annoying as I have seen other people have luck with it.

As for keyboards, I was looking at the G15. As I said, I kinda destroyed my wireless keyboard and need a new one. I'm using one I took from work and its an OEM Gateway wired keyboard and I hate it.

Or perhaps someone could help me. I just want two buttons changed. Its the up and down buttons around the scroll wheel (button 11 and button 12). I want the top button to send teh Alt+F4 command and the bottom button to mute the system, and unmute when clicked again. The main one is the Alt+F4 on the top button.