PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Verizon um175 broadband

Doodlemepink
November 18th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Hello all,

I'm trying to get my USB broadband card to work in Linux. I am running Ibex 8.10 with the hope that it would be supported but to no avail. I have tried the basic set up through network manager but, the broadband network doesn't show up in my networks. So after that I tried to use gnome-ppp to set it up but it will not detect the modem. I can't find a driver/all of the threads here or anywhere haven't helped me get this going.

I'm a ubuntu N00B so I will need mostly a walk-through on this.

Thanks for your help!

jprogers5181
September 30th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I searched for several days trying to find help with this same problem and finally found a solution. However, I did not save the solution URL (sorry). Essentially, I had to initialize the Verizon account using a Windows operating system. I installed the VZAccess Manager software on the Windows machine and followed all the prompts. Once the UM175 was communicating as advertised, I plugged it into my Ubuntu 9.04 machine (freshly updated!!!) and the modem was recognized and I connected immediately. On previous install attempts I did enter all the required information requested in the NetworkManager|Mobile Broadband tab. That may have been why it seemed like a seemless solution. After I got the Ubuntu machine communicating with the Internet I uninstalled the VZAccess Manager from the Windows machine and all is well. By the way, I tried installing the VZAccess Manager in a Windows VirtualBox, but could not get access to the USB port. I've read other forums that corraborate this problem so don't bother trying that route. Use a pure Windows machine or a Windows partition and it will hopefully get you connected quickly.

DLinn
October 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Hi-
I have been using the Pantech UM175 cellular modem from Verizon for about a year now and I have no comlpaints. Of course I can't remember if I had some... In any case all's well now. :)

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10, Intrepid Ibex.

I use WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60.

Make a backup copy of etc/wvdial.conf (e.g. wvdial.conf.orig)

Edit the etc/wvdial.conf file using gedit as below-

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Stupid Mode = 1
Modem Type = USB Modem
ISDN = 0
Phone = #777
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
Username = your modem phone number@vzw3g.com
Auto Reconnect = on
Password = vzw
Baud = 460800

Save the file.

Then, using terminal enter-
sudo wvdial

Then you should see something like this-
account name@account name@account name-desktop:~$ sudo wvdial

Terminal will ask for your password...
[sudo] password for account name:

Then you will see a series of messages...
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT#777
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT#777
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Wed Oct 7 11:53:06 2009
--> Pid of pppd: 11401
--> Using interface ppp0
--> local IP address 70.217.169.115
--> remote IP address 66.174.160.64
--> primary DNS address 66.174.95.44
--> secondary DNS address 66.174.92.14

You should now be connected.

If this doesn't do the trick search the Forums using 'wvdial'

Best Wishes
DL