PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Desktop icons disappear and can no longer right click desktop?

SlingerXL
November 18th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Pretty much just as title says. My desktop icons have disappeared and I can't right click the desktop or drag files there anymore. Totally random occurrence. Everything has always worked fine before. I can still access the files by going to Places>Desktop and it's all there, but they don't show up on the desktop.

??

Bölvağur
November 18th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Did you change any settings that might involve Nautilus or the Desktop?

smacattack
November 18th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I would try pressing Alt+F2 then typing:

metacity --replace

Might work and it can't hurt anyways so it's worth a shot

SlingerXL
November 18th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Didn't mess with desktop or nautilus and the metacity didn't help either. Thanks for the tries, though.

Papa-san
November 20th, 2008, 01:45 AM
I had the exact same thing happen an hour ago. I have not changed anything in any of my settings, so I didn't make it happen. I have done software updates in the last couple of days... Whatever was released except for the firefox three ones.. I tried that browser and it really sux...

This problem exists even when I re-boot into an older kernel.

I'll subscribe to this thread and wait to see if there is a solution offered.

sirjoebob
November 20th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Just a shot in the dark from somone not experiencing the issue....

1. Alt+f2: gconf-editor
2. Apps>Nautilus>Preferences
3. In the right panel, make sure "Show desktop" is checked. Let us know if it works

Papa-san
November 20th, 2008, 02:03 AM
There isn't an option there that says "Show Desktop".

There were some empty checkboxes by things like "show recycle bin", "show computer icon", "show home icon". I checked them, but nothing changed. I'll re-boot again to see if anything happened...

Papa-san
November 20th, 2008, 02:10 AM
After doing that and re-booting, my stuff is back on the desktop, and it responds to the right-click again...

:-)

sarc
November 20th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I'v had GDM do all kinds of weird stuff when my hard disk was almost full. All back to normal when I cleaned out old files. I'd check to see if you have enough space on your root directory.

SlingerXL
November 20th, 2008, 06:01 AM
There isn't an option there that says "Show Desktop".

There were some empty checkboxes by things like "show recycle bin", "show computer icon", "show home icon". I checked them, but nothing changed. I'll re-boot again to see if anything happened...

Solved.