PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Itunes store alternative

marsdend
November 18th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Hi

I am getting an Ipod today and I can't use the Itunes store to download music onto my Ipod as Ubuntu doesn't support the Itunes software.

Is there alternative software or website where I can purchase music legally for my Ipod?

Dan

aysiu
November 18th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Amazon

It has a Linux downloader application and there are no DRM restrictions on the songs. They're just straight-up MP3.

sharon.gmc
November 18th, 2008, 02:41 AM
wow, thanks, I have the same problem. . .

jdong
November 18th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Yeah, I also use Amazon for my music needs. Unfortunately I still use the iTunes Store for my video content -- I'd ideally like a store to get videos in H.264 or MPEG-4 ASP standards formats that I can load onto my iPod but have been unable to find such a service. Between having a Flash based service (Amazon) that I can play whenever I have an internet connection on a Flash-enabled device, or something that at least lets me load the video to my iPhone on the go and play on any Windows or Mac I own, I'll sadly pick the latter currently.

When people cry and moan about whether or not iTunes on Linux would be welcome, I personally would welcome it for the video content that it offers.