PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to configure internet access

drtanz
November 18th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Hi I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 server edition, while I was installing the DHCP settings were not detected so I skipped that part of the install, and now when I try to download a package using the cli I get errors that the address is not resolving. I guess then that internet access is not set on my Ubuntu server. How can I set this? My wireless router is set to use DHCP.

hictio
November 18th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Try this from the CLI:

sudo dhclient -r (ENTER)
sudo dhclient (ENTER)

drtanz
November 18th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I am getting no dhcpoffers received

wireless is working fine on my other os (vista) installed on the laptop

spiderbatdad
November 18th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Perhaps this thread belongs in Networking & Wireless, or ABT? Is your wireless network using wpa or any security? Can you post the output of
sudo iwlist wlan0 scansubstitute wlan0 for the appropriate wireless interface, if necessary...iwconfig to see interface.

bapoumba
November 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Moved to Networking & Wireless.

drtanz
November 20th, 2008, 06:39 PM
hi still no success, wlan0 is the only one available when i try iwconfig, but then when i try the command you gave me i get:

interface does not support scanning: Network is down.

any further help? thanks

drtanz
November 21st, 2008, 08:41 PM
any further help on this? thanks

srilyk
November 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM
try typing this:

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan

then post your output

drtanz
November 21st, 2008, 08:54 PM
wla0 Interface doesn't support scanning

kevdog
November 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM
You need to troubleshoot your driver using the command line (which there is a link in my sig). I would first trouleshoot the driver install using lshw -C network and lsmod to see if the wireless kernel module is loaded. Then check dmesg to see if there was an error when the driver was loaded.