PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changing boot screens and menu choices in Live USB with persistance

wordsmithereens
November 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Hi;

I'm wondering if, and how, to change the boot sequence of the Live USB so that I don't need to select a language and have just a "regular" boot screen. In other words, I don't want it to look like I'm booting form the live CD but rather like a "normal" disk boot of Ubuntu.

Thank you.

wordsmithereens

wordsmithereens
November 18th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Anyone?

A hint?

Musenkishi
November 24th, 2008, 01:22 PM
This interests me aswell as I use 8.10 on my 4gb USB.
I also would like to know how to make it boot with nvidia drivers. Seems that even though it's downloaded (using hardware drivers) it won't be activated when I boot (have to activate and log out/in)

vievie
November 27th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I have the same interest. It's like a ubuntu for flash memory use.

vievie
December 1st, 2008, 04:39 PM
FYI: after more digging on the internet, I realize what we need is a real ubuntu running on USB/Flash memory.

I guess what we should do is just to forget about live usb, do a real install on USB/flash memory, and for the sake of wearing, turn off swap and journaling (use ext2).

wordsmithereens
December 2nd, 2008, 05:49 AM
Hi vievie;

The live USB with persistence works very well. I think that by eliminating or sidestepping the "LiveCD bootscreens" it would be even more usable.

I do like your idea of installing to the USB drive as well, but there would seem to be some hardware issues to overcome when booting to different machines - where the "LiveUSB" takes that into account already.

I'm not a programmer, just a fan of Ubuntu, so I'm sure that there are many issues for either case that I am not aware of.

wordsmithereens

vievie
December 3rd, 2008, 05:39 AM
You are right.

It would be convenient for a "live" use between different machines. I guess, it would not be hard to change the settings. THere must be some settings in the bootloader. But i am not a programmer either ....

As to myself, I recently purchased a shuttle X27D atom mini PC, and would like to run linux on a solid state media. I almost decide to use ubuntu live usb w/ persistence. Now I know I can do a regular install without SWAP and journaling to protect the card.

vie.

theozzlives
December 3rd, 2008, 05:46 AM
Does casper-rw still apply when running persistence?

scottuss
December 11th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I think the whole booting from a USB stick works better if it is a live install as opposed to a "proper" install. I will try it sometime next week when I get some free time and see if it breaks anything.

I'll post my results, for anyone that's interested...

Edit: I'll test it on my three main computers, all different specs and I'll try it on a few at uni etc, just to get a good range of different specs.