PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot, Windows + Ubuntu

arijitm
November 17th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Hello frnds,

I want to buy a laptop. According to specific requirements due to my work, i need it to be dual boot running Windows XP as well as Ubuntu.

The problem is, almost 80% of todays laptops run Windows Vista and the rest who come without OS has DOS installed in them. With DOS installed i can very well install Windows XP, but without a raw partition how can i install Ubuntu? :confused:

..............Waiting for a solution..........

Thanks in advance.

Arijit

Newk1991
November 17th, 2008, 11:21 AM
u wudnt consider wubi ??

http://wubi-installer.org/

Rucas
November 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Install your Win XP first, then Install Ubuntu, its fairly simply to adjust the partion and create the required Swap and EXT for Ubuntu.
It will most probably give you the Master Boot trouble after the firts few updates (Ubuntu), and some times when doing a disk defrag in windows will cause the Initial Grub Boot to go a bit crazy. There are many tutorials on how to fix this, but for me i once downloaded an app called Super Grub Tool(free and really good to have, also very easy to use), and after using it never had problems again.
Otherwise both Ubuntu and Win run fine on my old Toshiba.
If you wish to run Ubuntu form within Windows itself then Wubi is the better option. Tought they do state it can have a lower performance when operating virtually inside WIN.
Best of luck and if you get stuck, most folk here are really helpfull...
Happy shopping
PS: Please do correct me if im wrong im no Linux expert, just speaking from own experience.

Newk1991
November 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
wubi simply installs ubuntu on the ntfs partition and is very simple,secure and the performance is no different speakin from experience ..

starcannon
November 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM
+1 for wubi, its like it was made to order for your situation.