PDA

View Full Version : Packaging and deplying Python application

Tony Flury
November 17th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I am in the final stages of developing and testing a python application (using GTK) that allows you to upload pictures to flickr (yes i did get the API to work after actually reading the docs).

Its features include :

Multiple flickr accounts
Pictures displayed as thumbnails
Double click on pictures to show full size in viewer
Multiple selection of pictures
Adding of tags and sets to selected pictures even when multiple pics are selected. Creation of new flickr sets directly from the Gui
Uploading of pictures, with titles, tags and sets to flickr.

Still to be added :

Picture description
Picture permissions and Licences
User preferences including :

optional default account to start on
optional starting folder to load pictures from - per user
optional tags to add to pictures - per user
optional automatic title based on file name - per user
optional automatic tags and sets based on file location - per user
alternative image viewer selection - per user
default permissions and Licences

Documentation
Readme's etc

future wish list - v2.0 and beyond - vanity tools

Tool to build "most viewed" set with one click
Build "most commented" sets with one click
Build "most favorited" set with one click

Once i finish the application (to v1.0) I would like to include the whole thing as a package and make it available for others to use if they wish - what is the best way of doing that.

Also : what do people recommend for providing on-line help within the application ?

pmasiar
November 17th, 2008, 05:39 PM
include the whole thing as a package and make it available for others to use if they wish - what is the best way of doing that.

ez_install egg

what do people recommend for providing on-line help within the application ?

mailing list (free at google groups) and wiki (free at wikidot (I like it more) or pbwiki - see my sig)

Edit: google code provides easier-to-use features than SF, including wiki, if you want also host code repository

nanotube
November 17th, 2008, 08:34 PM
mailing list (free at google groups) and wiki (free at wikidot (I like it more) or pbwiki - see my sig)

or host it on sourceforge, and get mailing list, wiki, website, cvs/svn, file release hosting, and a few other things, for free. :)

bobbocanfly
November 18th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Or a mix between SF and Google Code: Launchpad. Bug tracker, answers tracker, translations tracker, Specifications tracker, Bazaar hosting, package archive, mailing lists.

Not as complex/feature-full as sourceforge, but not as basic as Google code.

Sorivenul
November 18th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Or a mix between SF and Google Code: Launchpad. Bug tracker, answers tracker, translations tracker, Specifications tracker, Bazaar hosting, package archive, mailing lists.

Not as complex/feature-full as sourceforge, but not as basic as Google code.

As a member of SourceForge and Launchpad, I vastly prefer Launchpad. That may be because I now prefer Bazaar to either SVN or CVS.

loell
November 18th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Once i finish the application (to v1.0) I would like to include the whole thing as a package and make it available for others to use if they wish - what is the best way of doing that.

another howto: Making a deb package out of a python script. (http://www.showmedo.com/videos/video?name=linuxJensMakingDeb&fromSeriesID=37)

Tony Flury
November 18th, 2008, 04:29 PM
ok - and how is the best way to package a help file - or is the best way to go with on line help, and launch a browser ?

bobbocanfly
November 18th, 2008, 05:12 PM
ok - and how is the best way to package a help file - or is the best way to go with on line help, and launch a browser ?

If you are debian packaging it, add all the documentation you want to install to debian/docs and add a call to dh_installdocs in your debian/rules binary-arch target.

Tony Flury
November 18th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I think i have a long way to go before i grok most if any of what was said.

I will have another read in a day or so :-)