PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] printer+scanner combo for ubuntu

giuspen
November 17th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I need to buy a printer+scanner combo, but I'm afraid to buy something that will not work on ubuntu (I already have a webcam unusable on ubuntu).
What is the most supported printer+scanner combo from ubuntu?

bobmct
November 17th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I'me using a Brother MFC240c, not the newest, but it works quite well. I am looking for a good *nix GUI scanning program, however.

starcannon
November 17th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I use an HP C4385 out of the box goodness on USB, caveat being you'll need a windows box for initial setup if you want it as a wireless network printer, after it has an IP it "Just works" with Ubuntu.

If its a USB printer, I have yet to run into a HP all in one that doesn't work with the hplip drivers and utilities, heres a nice way to find the one that is right for you (may require a bit of cross referencing with google to get a look at specs):
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/index.html

Have fun, and happy printing.

P.S. Xsane works quite nicely for scanning software, The Gimp has a nice interface as well., scanner drivers determine what resolutions it can offer, I know nothing of Brother scanners. I get full res outta my HP's though.

giuspen
November 17th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I'me using a Brother MFC240c, not the newest, but it works quite well. I am looking for a good *nix GUI scanning program, however.

I always used gimp for the scanner... gimp->create->scanner.
I would buy a simple scanner again apart from the printer, just here in Italy it's more expensive to buy a scanner than a multifunction printer+scanner (incredible).

giuspen
November 17th, 2008, 01:15 PM
If its a USB printer, I have yet to run into a HP all in one that doesn't work with the hplip drivers and utilities, heres a nice way to find the one that is right for you (may require a bit of cross referencing with google to get a look at specs):
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/index.html

So I'll probably buy a HP all in one, thanks.