PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I install on a comp that wont boot and has no cdrom?

avajoe
November 17th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I tried to install ubuntu on my laptop that has a broken cdrom via unetboot and the iso but after the first reboot i got and error that says invalid partition table as soon as I boot. So I guess my only option is usb stick but I cant set it up like the instructions say since i cant do anything on the computer. Is there anyway to set it up on another comp? I tried putting the iso on a usb stick and setting it to boot external devices first but it dident work. any ideas?

sirjoebob
November 17th, 2008, 08:03 AM
If you have access to another computer, you could use a live cd to boot ubuntu on it and create the USB disk installer. Kind of convoluted but it would work...

spider_0k
November 17th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I have had a similar problem on on a Sony Viao. I used a IDE 2.5" to 3.5" converter cable. Plugged the laptop drive in, rebooted from CD (desktop), all done in no time. I added a windows ISO to the laptop drive, I presume you could do the same with a Ubuntu image if you have the room, although I don't see any need for one provided your network/internet is working.

These converter cables are readily availabe at your local coputer store/fair.

Hope that gets you up and running.

Philip

avajoe
November 18th, 2008, 07:56 PM
If you have access to another computer, you could use a live cd to boot ubuntu on it and create the USB disk installer. Kind of convoluted but it would work...
ya I have another, what do you mean by live cd

sirjoebob
November 18th, 2008, 10:54 PM
what do you mean by live cd

The Ubuntu Live CD is the installer disc when you "try Ubuntu with no changes to your computer" or whatever it is.

avajoe
November 19th, 2008, 03:49 AM
The Ubuntu Live CD is the installer disc when you "try Ubuntu with no changes to your computer" or whatever it is.

ok so i have that cd as well as a memory stick should copy it straight to it and boot

ciscosurfer
November 19th, 2008, 04:02 AM
ok so i have that cd as well as a memory stick should copy it straight to it and bootThere are a few different ways (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick) to go about this.

On Ubuntu version 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex), you can also use the Create a USB Startup Disk option found under System > Administration.

avajoe
November 19th, 2008, 04:28 AM
In the usb install instructions aren't they meant for a computer that you have and existing os on that you can setup unetboot? or can that be done from another computer?