PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Moving to Ubuntu

Jimmmac1
November 16th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Good afternoon

Well, I found the posting form. I am moving from Xandros to Ubuntu, slowly and have a couple of questions.

1. How to you get Thunderbird installed on Ubuntu. This is not clear in the package manager.

2. I have Vmware 5.5 installed on Xandros. Is Vmware easy to install on Ubuntu?

I searched on Vmware 5.5 and didn't get anything relevant. Thanks all

Jim

billgoldberg
November 16th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Good afternoon

Well, I found the posting form. I am moving from Xandros to Ubuntu, slowly and have a couple of questions.

1. How to you get Thunderbird installed on Ubuntu. This is not clear in the package manager.

2. I have Vmware 5.5 installed on Xandros. Is Vmware easy to install on Ubuntu?

I searched on Vmware 5.5 and didn't get anything relevant. Thanks all

Jim

What package manager are you using?

First go to system -> administration -> software sources.

Make sure universe and multiverse repo's are enabled.

In the third party software tab, make sure the partner repo is enabled.

--

Reload (you'll be prompted for it)

--

In applications -> add/remove, search for Thunderbird, tag the box and press apply

(make sure all availabe applications are enabled in the top center drop down menu)

--

I don't know if vmware is in the repos, you can use virtualbox instead.

bodhi.zazen
November 16th, 2008, 11:35 PM
VMWare is not *too* difficult. I have how to's in the Virtualization section (they are linked in the Virtualization Mega Thread). The how-to's for vmware Server work, as far as I know, for workstation as well. The how-to's are "community maintained" so if you see a problem , or better a solution, let us know :)

Jimmmac1
November 17th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Hi BillGoldberg and Bodhi

Thanks for your responses. I did find and install Thunderbird. I didn't know about the Add/Remove program. Worked great. I will now look at the virtualization section to see what I can find out about VmWare. Thanks again.

Jim