PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] xserver crashes while watching videos

JohnGalt131
November 16th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Occasionally my xserver crashes: I get a bunch of vertical purple bars and after less than a second I am at the login screen. It happens when I watch certain avi files and when I use virtualbox running windows xp. I noticed that the update manager had an update for nvidia settings. This is weird because I do not have an nvidia card, I have intel. I wonder if Ubuntu thinks I am using nvidia. How could I check this?

Thanks!

MunkyJunky
November 16th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I used to use Intel a while back - I had issues with it (running on Ubuntu 7.10, and 8.04). This was because (or I was told it was because) the Linux Intel graphics driver sucked at the time. I don't know if this is still the case, but if so that may be why.

JohnGalt131
November 16th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I used to use Intel a while back - I had issues with it (running on Ubuntu 7.10, and 8.04). This was because (or I was told it was because) the Linux Intel graphics driver sucked at the time. I don't know if this is still the case, but if so that may be why.

It worked perfectly, for 7.10 and 8.04.

binbash
November 16th, 2008, 06:34 PM
did you try to change the video output at your video player preferences?

JohnGalt131
November 16th, 2008, 06:35 PM
did you try to change the video output at your video player preferences?

No. What's weird is that the same video will crash x over and over but if I use metacity instead of emerald/compiz it doesn't crash.

binbash
November 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM
change the video output to X11 and report back if the problem still occurs

EDIT : you can also watch your movies with compiz enabled if you switch the output to X11

JohnGalt131
November 16th, 2008, 06:40 PM
change the video output to X11 and report back if the problem still occurs

EDIT : you can also watch your movies with compiz enabled if you switch the output to X11

I'm not sure I understand. What would the video go to if not X11. Also, how do I specify.

binbash
November 16th, 2008, 06:47 PM
dude if you are using mplayer, go the player's preferences there is video output there.Select X11.or VLC do same.