PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wifi ap works for everything but linux

nullspace
November 16th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Last week the midevlopers met in a bar, we were all running linux on our laptops. we could all get ip addresses, route, sub net, and dns (DHCP) but we couldn't access the internet. We figure the access was not configured correctly and that I would go back and fix it sometime.

So I showed up today and it still didn't work. What was strange is that the patrons running windows could get internet access. They were int he same ip range, subnet, gate way and dns. I could even ping them and port scan them. I even tested my phone which worked as well and I managed to confirm it by checking the external ip address. I wasn't allowed to check the router's configurations.

What I am curious about is why would happen. Is it some type of proxy setup to deny linux machines access?

I am open to all theories right now.

iponeverything
November 16th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Last week the midevlopers met in a bar, we were all running linux on our laptops. we could all get ip addresses, route, sub net, and dns (DHCP) but we couldn't access the internet. We figure the access was not configured correctly and that I would go back and fix it sometime.

So I showed up today and it still didn't work. What was strange is that the patrons running windows could get internet access. They were int he same ip range, subnet, gate way and dns. I could even ping them and port scan them. I even tested my phone which worked as well and I managed to confirm it by checking the external ip address. I wasn't allowed to check the router's configurations.

What I am curious about is why would happen. Is it some type of proxy setup to deny linux machines access?

I am open to all theories right now.

I doubt that its something directed against Linux machines, my guess would be that the captive portal software that they are using only supports IE.