PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] pidgin junk messages

Matt26
November 16th, 2008, 04:08 PM
i always receive random junk messages from pidgin contacts that i have never seen before (they are always random contacts) with messages asking to click on the links in the messages to view web cams etc. is there a way to get rid of these messages and stop them from being received? thanks.

diwas
November 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Im sorry if Im being too personal, but do u goto the chatroom often?? Using your id which u use in pidgin...??

MrKlean
November 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
You can set pidgin to allow only messages from ppl in your buddy list, it's under privacy ; )

lifestream
November 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Yup. They're spammers. I hate them with a passion. To answer diwas, I don't use chatrooms.

This happens only on Yahoo and rarely on MSN. What about you?

Noxn
November 16th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I often get junk from my MSN buddies.

Looks like some new MSN worm or something.

diwas
November 16th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Well i dont use chatrooms either, but yeah sometimes the spammers happen to hit my id...mostly on yahoo.

I guess its some kinda computer virus...(idk the appropriate term). My frend's email id is infected by this "virus" which comes online at exactly 11.00pm sends a link and then becomes offline...lol.

I love "virus makers" lol.

diwas
November 16th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Well i dont use chatrooms either, but yeah sometimes the spammers happen to hit my id...mostly on yahoo.

I guess its some kinda computer virus...(idk the appropriate term). My frend's email id is infected by this "virus" which comes online at exactly 11.00pm sends a link and then becomes offline...lol.

I love "virus makers" lol.

diwas
November 16th, 2008, 04:23 PM
sorry double post...

Noxn
November 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I hate these viruses that say something like:

Someguy:
"Hey! i got a cool game! Look at it:"
Someguy:
"www.obscuresite.com/evilvirus.exe"

and then you send these Spam messages.

Matt26
November 16th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Yup. They're spammers. I hate them with a passion. To answer diwas, I don't use chatrooms.

This happens only on Yahoo and rarely on MSN. What about you?

thanks for the responses- this is what i suspected was the case- funny i never received these spam messages when i used MSN messenger on windows xp, only when i started using pidgin on ubuntu. and to answer diwas' question, no i do not go to any chat rooms ever- and no you weren't being too personal... :)

jpoRS
November 16th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I get them a lot on my ICQ account (And no I don't frequent the "chatrooms"). I just figured some bot found it on some webpage where I left it and caught me that way.

jim

k3lt01
November 16th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I get it via my ICQ account. Bots can get ICQ id's easily they are listed on the ICQ website if you search for them.

Changing your settings to make it only friends who can message you doesn't stop it either.