PDA

View Full Version : [other] Samba Is Killing Me: Windows XP to Linux Server

tdrusk
November 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I have Samba running. I can see the files in XP and can read and execute them. I can't write to the drive though... When I try to I get the error attached.

I have tried so many combinations of chmod.
I did

chmod 777 /media/sda1
and it looks to have worked, but it doesn't. I have added the user to the folder(it wouldn't work this well without it).

Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

mike2357
November 16th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Do you have Linux and Windows running on different machines, or is it one machine that can be booted into either operating system?

Also, please post the lines from /etc/fstab that contain references to /media/sda1.

tdrusk
November 16th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Do you have Linux and Windows running on different machines, or is it one machine that can be booted into either operating system?

Also, please post the lines from /etc/fstab that contain references to /media/sda1.

They are two different machines.

This is the fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda1 / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ext3 rw,user,auto 0 0

Should I throw in an "all" under /dev/sda1 options?
Is it because it's ext3?

EDIT: I found a problem. I can rwx /media/sda1 but I can't rwx in any of the directories of /media/sda1.
EDIT2: I figured it out. I ran

chown -R username /media/sda1

mike2357
November 16th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry to be so slow on the uptake, but I want to make sure I understand what you want to do, as the solutions are very different. If I understand it, you want to run Windows XP and from it, read/write files on your Linux box. Right? Or do I have it backwards? I guess I'm confused because Samba is used for making your Linux files available on Windows, but /media/sda1 is generally used for making Linux able to see Windows files on the same, dual-boot machine.

tdrusk
November 16th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I'm sorry to be so slow on the uptake, but I want to make sure I understand what you want to do, as the solutions are very different. If I understand it, you want to run Windows XP and from it, read/write files on your Linux box. Right? Or do I have it backwards? I guess I'm confused because Samba is used for making your Linux files available on Windows, but /media/sda1 is generally used for making Linux able to see Windows files on the same, dual-boot machine.

I have a Linux server I want to access with my XP installation.

I figured it out though. I had to chown all the children of /dev/sda1. Works now.