PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] firefox java apps not loading ...

Adamant
November 16th, 2008, 06:45 AM
installed 8.10 - earlier today

ran firefox, wanted to play a couple java games (runescape inparticular if it matters) and i was getting a gray screen instead of java, so i googled it more than once... installed java6 by remove/add programs + terminal and it still isnt working.

java enabled, javascript enabled...

i accidentally my firefox :lolflag:

also i have a couple links to mx revolution / logitech g15 ... terminal operations and i was wondering if they'd still be able to use in 8.10 ?

taurus
November 16th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Did you also install the plugin for java? You can tell what kind of plugins do you have by typing this in the address field.

about:plugins
Otherwise, install the java plugin with

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin

Adamant
November 16th, 2008, 07:13 AM
about:plugins - i have every plugin there enabled except for the "demo print plugin"

terminal says i already have the newest version...

alienexplorers
November 16th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Did you try running the java test on this page: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

Adamant
November 16th, 2008, 07:57 AM
the little .. box thing loads - says that im using an older version of jre but 6.0 is current i think,

thats the only java applet that will load so far ...

edit:
somehow "linerider" loads as well ...

i do know that the java applet requires a "cache" in order to load - im thinking that's the problem ? has anybody encountered this before ?

another edit, linerider is flash - not java ...

Adamant
November 16th, 2008, 08:08 AM
(bump) =/

alienexplorers
November 16th, 2008, 08:21 AM
When you loaded java did you run in terminal:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sunjava6-bin sun-java6-plugin

Adamant
November 16th, 2008, 09:39 AM
cant remember exactly, it was from this forum though -
i might add that it says " starting applet " on the loading bar yet it never does ...

ran that and tried again, still nothing ..

TheBrewmaster
November 17th, 2008, 05:25 AM
When you loaded java did you run in terminal:
I'm basically having almost the identical problem, though running about:plugins in Firefox shows no sign of Java.

When I run:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sunjava6-bin sun-java6-plugin

it ends up with:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
sun-java6-jre is already the newest version.
sun-java6-jre set to manually installed.
E: Couldn't find package sunjava6-bin
I've installed java from Sun, it appears that it's working OK, other than it just plain refuses work in Firefox. I just get
Java Runtime Environment is not working on your system from the Sun Java test web site.
I do see and can run the Sun Java 6 Plugin Control Panel under the System, Preferences menu, and everything in there looks right.
I'm sure there's some noob mistake that I've done, I dunno. :)

TheBrewmaster
November 17th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I'm basically having almost the identical problem, though running about:plugins in Firefox shows no sign of Java.

So combing through the forums, and finding a lot of similar things, but either appear to not be resolved or turn out to be something different than what I am experiencing, I found something that's "good enough" for me (so far).
http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=535247
I ran the following suggested command:

sudo aptitude install ubuntu-restricted-extras
It installed the icedtea-gcjwebplugin, among all the other things it loaded, including a few fonts that I'll never use, though they probably won't hurt me.
The odd thing is, when going to the Sun Java test web site, http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml?ff3
It now oddly says I have Java 6 Update, with Sun Microsystems as the vendor, though it's displaying a little oddly, the "more Information" button is directly on top of the little animation.

I guess I won't complain, as long as it will work for what I need it for. :)