PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Is my system temperature OK

sonu 1807
November 16th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I have AMD Tutorian 64 X2 processor with 1 GB Ram . I have compiz-fusion enabled. Righ now I am running Abiword, firefox, swiftweasel, frostwire.I use EVDO usb device for internet and that too is connected.The system monitor says that I am using 37% of RAM. The room temperature is about 27 C. Now when i type sensors in terminal i get this-:
k8temp-pci-00c3s
Adapter: PCI adapter
Core0 Temp: +56.0C
Core1 Temp: +59.0C

I want to know is this OK or my computer is getting hot? I am using 32-bit hardy

boblemur
November 16th, 2008, 06:25 AM
yeh that should be fine, most are rated for about 70 degree's ur bios should cut the power to the core if its too hot, to save it from overheating...

the higher the temp the less stable ur core will be... however 50 degree's is definatly a healthy opperating tmp

cl0ckwork
November 16th, 2008, 06:27 AM
thats normal temperature for AMD chips under load, no worries.
AMD always tend to run a little hotter than Intel, but they get the work done a lot better IMO

sonu 1807
November 16th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Thanks... Now I am happy :)... I have noticed that the fan does not work overtime as it did when I was using vista is it because ubuntu is easier on processor

sonu 1807
November 16th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks... Now I am happy :)... I have noticed that the fan does not work overtime as it did when I was using vista... is it because ubuntu is easier on processor

Skripka
November 16th, 2008, 06:32 AM
It depends on the thermal rating of your CPU.

My AMD6400+ is a 125W chip. It has a MAX temp of 65C. For example 65W Intel chips have a max temp near 100C (IIRC).

It depends on your specific chip and its thermal rating.

boblemur
November 16th, 2008, 06:32 AM
hell yeah it is... ubuntu is very nice :) iv got mine down to 100mb of ram and almost completly idle :)

openbox ftw :P

sonu 1807
November 16th, 2008, 06:36 AM
How I can find thermal rating of my chip?

Skripka
November 16th, 2008, 06:49 AM
How I can find thermal rating of my chip?

What model chip is it? Turion you say? From what I've read Turions have a 35W thermal power-which means you're very safe.

Scroll down to Turion:

http://www.cpu-world.com/info/id/AMD-Mobile_K8-identification.html

boblemur
November 16th, 2008, 06:58 AM
read this for more info:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/43373.pdf

but ur chip appear to be happy at upto almost 100 degrees

although i wouldnt let it get that hot if i were you...just in case :P

but that document has all the details

oldsoundguy
November 16th, 2008, 06:58 AM
the temps reported in the posts are fine.

Just remember the hotter the ambient around a chip, the hotter the interior of the case.
I ran a hyper-threaded intel 3.06 for a while and it would LITERALLY heat the house in the wintertime.. lots of noisy fans in order to keep the temps in the box down. To no avail as the capacitors on the power rails sat right next to the processor on that MSI board and eventually those capacitors got cooked and the board became, as the saying goes, TOAST!

sonu 1807
November 16th, 2008, 07:14 AM
even if I am using it for hours and using multiple applications ... it does not rise beyond 75. i just checked it by opening picasa and some other applications too simulataneously.... so it seems fine:)... Now one more thing how can I mark this post as solved... i tried but am not finding any clue for that... sorry I know this is silly...

boblemur
November 16th, 2008, 07:18 AM
just above in thread tools... should be solved if i recall correctly...

sonu 1807
November 16th, 2008, 07:25 AM
OK I marked it as solved :).... ubuntu forum rocks!!:guitar: