PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] Need help fixing broken dependency

hckirsch
November 16th, 2008, 05:43 AM
My system froze while updating Kubuntu, apparently because the package libhtml-parser-perl depends on perl being >=5.10.0-10 (and I have 5.8.8-12 currently installed).

Ok, so I can see where libhmtl-parser-perl would be broken. Unfortunately, su apt-get -f install returns that it's unable to correct the situation (perhaps because the right perl is not yet installed?).

In Synaptic, I can locate the broken package, but not remove it. It also won't let me install the correct perl (it won't do that until I fix the broken package). So I'm in a loop...

Thanks for your suggestions.

hck

taurus
November 16th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Try

sudo apt-get --config -a
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get update
If there is a error message, post the whole thing here and from what command that error message came from.

hckirsch
November 16th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the first line: "sudo apt-get --config -a" returns: "E: Command line option --config is not understood"

Since I have seen that general syntax in another post, I tried "sudo dpkg --config -a" just in case that's what you had in mind, and it returned: " ...dependency problems - leaving unconfigured".

Continuing, then, the "sudo apt-get -f install" command still complained of the dependency problem. And the "sudo apt-get update" returned: "...Correcting dependencies... failed..."

Regards,
hck

handydan918
November 16th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I have found that when ap-get and synaptic get fouled up, sometimes aptitude can straighten things out. Unfortunately, the only thing I can tell you at this point is install it and try...

aptitude install <packagename>

hckirsch
November 16th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Thanks - Aptitude let me roll back the offending package so nothing is broken anymore. Maybe I won't try to upgrade after all...

Regards,
hck