PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] lost graphics (xorg problem?)

zmike1
November 16th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I was trying to set up a second monitor for my dell inspiron 6400 laptop, running feisty with KDE and after either a restart (or maybe restarting X) I've apparently messed up my xorg server or something.

The system gives me no options and boots to the command line. I'm totally lost so I'm now running from my original live CD.

How do I recover what I used to have? I'll be happy just to have my GUI back and will work on the second monitor some other day.

benerivo
November 16th, 2008, 04:31 PM
If you do
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorgit will give you a default setup. Your old xorg may have been overwritten, although it may have created a backup. Check in /etc/X11/ for a backup, and also see this webpage (http://absolutebeginner.wordpress.com/2006/09/15/restoring-your-previous-xorgconf-file/). Firstly i would edit your current ('broken') xorg.conf by
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.confand look for some part of it which may refer to a dual monitor setup, and then comment out such lines with the # symbol.

zmike1
November 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Thank you.
Should I enter the command (sudo dpkg reconfigure...) now (while I'm running the live CD) or should I re-start with my broken system and then run it?

benerivo
November 16th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Run the commands in the broken system.

You can use the live cd to look for any backups and replace the broken xorg.conf with them.

zmike1
November 16th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I tried the "sudo dpkg -reconfigure..." command and got an error:

"conflicting actions -e (--control) and -r (--remove)"

then some stuff that looked like it comes from a man page..?
I guess this is not expected...?
did I type something wrong? I tried twice.

(thanks again for the help-- I have to run now but will be back)

MunkyJunky
November 16th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Those messages are thrown up because the - shows the start of some triggers. Instead of picking up the keyword 'reconfigure', its trying to run with the triggers associated with -r, -e, -c, -o, ... etc.

Are you putting a space between dpkg and -reconfigure? That may be your problem, I don't think there is supposed to be one.

zmike1
November 17th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Thank you MunkyJunky. I did have the extra space which was causing the problem.
I did the dpkg-reconfigure... and
Now the system starts to a gnome desktop instead of the KDE that was there before. No big deal since I was thinking about changing anyway but I'm wondering how that happened?

Also, since the live CD ran the graphics just fine, is there a way to copy the xorg.conf that it was using?

Thanks again for the help.