PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless driver help, NDISwrappers, and a headache

Ikyn
November 16th, 2008, 02:38 AM
So I'm pretty new to Linux in general, and I'm slowly but surely plodding my way through this steep learning curve of GNOME / Ubuntu 8.10. I have my choice between a couple of Wireless PCMCIA cards to use on my new-old laptop:

-Lucent Tech. Orinoco Silver (with side antenna port) 11Mbit/s
-Linksys WPC54G ver 1.2
- 2.4 Ghz OFDM Cardbus Wireless LAN card

That last card looks pretty jenky to me.

I can get the Orinoco and the last "cardbus?" to work, but I'm confused as to how I use the NDISwrapper to slip in the driver. I also plan on using Kismet at some point, and have an alternative set of drivers for the Orinoco card, but I have no idea how to install them! (They are dragorn's alternative Orinoco drivers directly from his site).

I've spent the last two days (essentially my entire weekend) scanning through every possible google combination I could think of to gather as much information as possible. Everything I've tried has had little-to-no success. I've re-installed Ubuntu and I'm looking to change these drivers without destroying my system this time.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated, as I am syntax-impaired due to my long history using Windows.

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

-Tyson

sirebral
November 16th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I have a Linksys Wireless G USB Adapter. WUSB54G ver. 4

Works great. I don't even mess with NDIS Wrapper. i just plugged it in and it works.

Ikyn
November 16th, 2008, 02:46 AM
The card I have is a PCMCIA slot interface, not a USB interface.

shifty_powers
November 16th, 2008, 02:47 AM
you ndisgtk, iirc, which is a gui for ndiswrapper.

you can find ti in synaptic...

Ikyn
November 16th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Thanks! that helps my Linksys question. Now, does anyone have any insight for me on how I can replace the drivers for the Orinoco card that are currently part of the kernal, with the ones I've downloaded from kismetwireless.net?

Thanks again in advance!

sirebral
November 16th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I thought you were looking for something new. My mistake.

alwayshere
November 16th, 2008, 03:43 AM
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download#DownloadlatestLinuxwirelessdrivers

lotsa wifi info