PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Installing Firefox 3.0.4

Jeenyus
November 16th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I am trying to upgrade to the newest version of Firefox which I downloaded from the Mozilla website. I downloaded the firefox-3.0.4.tar.bz2 file, moved it to /usr/local/src, extracted it with tar xvf firefox-3.0.4.tar.bz2, however when i ran the "./configure" command I get and error saying "no such file or directory"

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thank you!

shifty_powers
November 16th, 2008, 01:39 AM
erm, the latest firefox is 3.0.4 is it not?

certainly is on my machine. what version of ubuntu are you using?

hacve you checked in your current firefox?

Jeenyus
November 16th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I am on 8.04 and I have Firefox 3.0.2

shifty_powers
November 16th, 2008, 01:45 AM
ah, ok.

well it updates to 3.0.4 in 8.10.

if you wait a week or two i belive it will be in the repositories for hardy.

taurus
November 16th, 2008, 01:46 AM
You don't build firefox. You download it, unpack it, and then run it. Therefore, you might want to move your firefox-3.0.4.tar.bz2 to /opt

sudo mv firefox-3.0.4.tar.bz2 /opt
cd /opt
sudo tar xvjf firefox-3.0.4.tar.bz2
cd firefox
./firefox

Jeenyus
November 16th, 2008, 01:58 AM
You don't build firefox. You download it, unpack it, and then run it. Therefore, you might want to move your firefox-3.0.4.tar.bz2 to /opt

sudo mv firefox-3.0.4.tar.bz2 /opt
cd /opt
sudo tar xvjf firefox-3.0.4.tar.bz2
cd firefox
./firefox

Thank you, worked like a charm!

taurus
November 16th, 2008, 02:02 AM
You can create a launcher to launch the new version of firefox, 3.0.4, in the upper panel if you wish. Then, you don't have to run it from a terminal everytime you want to use it. Just one click and off it goes...

ciscosurfer
November 16th, 2008, 02:29 AM
erm, the latest firefox is 3.0.4 is it not?

certainly is on my machine. what version of ubuntu are you using?

hacve you checked in your current firefox?The latest FF release on mozilla.com (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/), as of today, Nov. 15, 2008, is v3.0.4 for Linux.

ah, ok.

well it updates to 3.0.4 in 8.10.

if you wait a week or two i belive it will be in the repositories for hardy.The latest release in the repos for Intrepid (as of today, Nov. 15, 2008, as far as I can tell, is v3.0.3 (which is the version I'm running on Intrepid). You can confirm this also by going to packages.ubuntu.com (http://packages.ubuntu.com).

I'm sure the repos will update very soon though. The v3.0.4 tarball was released on Nov. 12, 2008.

But yes, you can download any version you'd like right now and follow taurus (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=43398)' directions.

oldsoundguy
November 16th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Don't know if this works for you, but I have used the method:

(after installing the ubuntuzilla version at sourceforge.net)
(there is also a thread here in the forums on it.)

gksudo firefox & in CLI (terminal)

Firefox will open but under the help column the "update" will no longer be grayed out. Hit the update, and update and re-boot. Then shut down and next time you re-open you will have the updated version.

Do the same for Thunderbird. (gksudo thunderbird &)

(or any other Mozilla product you wish to use!)

as to launch .. using Gnome ... drag and drop the icons to the panel, either top or bottom. (I like that better than placing them on the desktop.)

VladNistor
November 18th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Firefox 3.04 is in the repository. Run the update manager to get it.