PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WINE Help

Sly-.-
November 16th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Hey, I want to use WINE, never have done before. I just installed Ubuntu 8.10, and install WINE from Applications > Add/Remove. Can someone please help me to configure it correctly to use my Windows applications, or link me to a guide.

If I go to Configure WINE, and go to my C drive where Windows is installed, go to Program Files, it don't have any of my Windows apps there. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

shifty_powers
November 16th, 2008, 01:41 AM
you've installed wine, which is a bunch of libraries to enable you to run windows apps. however it doesn't install any windows apps in of itself.

if you want to configure wine then

winecfg

in a terminal will do the trick. what do you want to install?

Sly-.-
November 16th, 2008, 01:55 AM
I get this when entering that.

err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on CA0106, disabling mixer

I want to run Photoshop, and some games.

Thanks.

shifty_powers
November 16th, 2008, 01:59 AM
http://appdb.winehq.org/

will give you all the info you need on whether you can run individual apps :D

Kellemora
November 16th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Hi Sly

I'm not sure, but I don't think Photoshop will run in Wine because it probably makes API calls. Numerous games also make API calls so they won't run either!

TTUL
Gary

shifty_powers
November 16th, 2008, 02:08 AM
earlier versions run quite well, cs1 and before.

but the cs2 and cs3 editions are only rated bronze...

Sly-.-
November 16th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Thanks, I've just added all the libraries, the thing you told me to do before didn't work, any idea why?

sirjoebob
November 16th, 2008, 02:16 AM
There are a lot of good resources for wine including full walk throughs. This may be better than asking on a forum. I have found plenty of excellent program-specific and general wine tutorials in the past but do not have them to link right now.