PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I need my Panel back!

MoreCowBell
November 16th, 2008, 01:28 AM
My computer is running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and I have The GNOME Panel 2.22.2, whatever that is. Yesterday, I accidentally moved or deleted part of the uppermost panel on my desktop. Now, what is missing are the links to Applications, Places and System. Can someone tell me how I can get them back? Also, I would like to upgrade to the newest version of Ubuntu, 8.10 Desktop. Would that upgrade fix things for me?

perlluver
November 16th, 2008, 01:30 AM
My computer is running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and I have The GNOME Panel 2.22.2, whatever that is. Yesterday, I accidentally moved or deleted part of the uppermost panel on my desktop. Now, what is missing are the links to Applications, Places and System. Can someone tell me how I can get them back? Also, I would like to upgrade to the newest version of Ubuntu, 8.10 Desktop. Would that upgrade fix things for me?

If you right click on the panel, go to add to panel, and add back window list, and main menu. And for firefox just drag it to the panel.

cdtech
November 16th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Press ALT+F2 and in the run dialog box, type "gnome-terminal" then click on Run.

When the Terminal window opens, enter the command:

sudo apt-get install gconf2

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/panel
Then enter:

rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
And enter one more command:

pkill gnome-panel

eternalnewbee
November 16th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Also, I would like to upgrade to the newest version of Ubuntu, 8.10 Desktop. Would that upgrade fix things for me?
I'd advise you to be patient for like another month or two, as you are new.

MoreCowBell
November 16th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Press ALT+F2 and in the run dialog box, type "gnome-terminal" then click on Run.

Then enter:

pkill gnome-panel

Thank you so much, cdtech! I did exactly as you told me to do and it worked perfectly! About halfway through the fix, I began to worry because all of my panels disappeared, but, in the end, all was restored like new. How do you do it? You must be a programmer or something. I am amazed! Thanks again, cdtech. You know your stuff.

chronographer
November 16th, 2008, 02:36 AM
You must be a programmer or something.

Not necessarily. he just knows which applications do what. The steps given to you did the following:

install gconf2 ( a configuration tool for gnome)
use this installed tool to set all your preferences back to default for the application 'panel'
rm -rf (is dangerous it means "remove everything below this without prompting") and then your settings folder for the panel
then pkill is probably process kill. This means the application gnome-panel will be closed (and restarted presumably) No programming required, just some prior knowledge!

I am sure that after a year of use you will give some advice to another fellow, who may think you must be a programmer too!

cdtech
November 16th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Thank you so much, cdtech! I did exactly as you told me to do and it worked perfectly! About halfway through the fix, I began to worry because all of my panels disappeared, but, in the end, all was restored like new. How do you do it? You must be a programmer or something. I am amazed! Thanks again, cdtech. You know your stuff.

Your welcome, I've just been around.

Good Luck....

MoreCowBell
November 16th, 2008, 08:30 PM

Then enter:

pkill gnome-panel

Now I need to say that this issue has been solved. There must be a link to do that properly or a process somehow. I'm not sure how to say that the problem has been solved so I am saying it right here. Thanks for your help everyone.

commonplace
November 21st, 2008, 04:35 PM
Now I need to say that this issue has been solved. There must be a link to do that properly or a process somehow. I'm not sure how to say that the problem has been solved so I am saying it right here. Thanks for your help everyone.

At the top of the thread, you should see a menu that says 'Thread Tools'. Click on that and a menu will drop down. One of the choices should be 'Mark this thread as solved'. That's it. And welcome to the forums and Ubuntu!

/Kevin

pepemosca
November 23rd, 2008, 12:42 PM

Then enter:

pkill gnome-panel

Hey, I didn't need the
sudo apt-get install gconf2 with Intrepid.

Btw, cdtech. Thanks!

XProflmfao
November 11th, 2009, 04:52 AM
thank you, thank you, cdtech!!! My stupid brother messed up the entire panel on my guest account (decided to delete it after he couldn't find the volume control) and then I had to find a way to get it back. Like most people, I started getting scared in the middle of the procedure because all of the panels disappeared. Also, I heard that in the announcements from the Ubuntu Forum staff that anybody giving you advice to type in anything with "rm" was like trying to mess up your computer or whatever... But now I fixed it!!! And nothing happened!! Thanks so much again!!!!

fenririx
March 20th, 2010, 10:30 AM
oops wrong thread