PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Evolution server problem after Evolution is uninstalled

VitaminBB
November 16th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I use thunderbird, the extensions for it are great and overall I can manipulate it better then evolution.

So I uninstalled evolution, very easy, but now I am left with all kinds of other files, files like ...

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j121/ArghMonkey/pic1.jpg

So I figured ill just uninstall the last remaining bits of evolution right?

Well when I go to uninstall evolution-data-server or any other bit of evolution files left over I get told that along with uninstalling this file (library etc) that I will be removing ekiga, ubuntu-desktop, along with other files I obviously dont want to lose ...

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j121/ArghMonkey/pic2.jpg

So riddle me this ...

Are these files mandatory for the system?

Would removing them not really effect the other programs it mentions and all I might need to do is download some other libraries files?

No idea what I should be doing here, any help, as always, is greatly appreciated ...

VitaminBB
November 16th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Can everyone see the pics btw?

VitaminBB
November 16th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Anyone?

I thought this would be an easy question ...

I dont use evolution so should I remove these other files and will removing those files, as it says, remove ubuntu-desktop, ekiga etc ?

Mardoct909
November 16th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Yes. They don't get un-installed.

You can hide it from the menus, though.

VitaminBB
November 16th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Yes. They don't get un-installed.

You can hide it from the menus, though.

Actually it did uninstall Ekiga and for some reason it also ****** up my openoffice and I have reinstall that too ...

How would I find out if it uninstalled ubuntu-deskop?

Dammit, i hope this didnt just wreck everything ...

Why the hell cant u just uninstall **** files attached to a program ur not even using?

This sucks I thought someone here would know what to do ...

VitaminBB
November 16th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Ya that was bad advice mardoct ...

When I tried to remove the evolution-data-server it ****** things up, now I have to reinstall open office, gnome-panel, ekiga, ubuntu-desktop, etc ...

Why didnt someone who know whats going on step up?

VitaminBB
November 16th, 2008, 09:31 AM
So does anyone know how I can get rid of all the evolution files without screwing up my computer?

Why would they design it this way ?!

VitaminBB
November 17th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Has anyone out there successfully removed all evolution files and kept everything else fine?

VitaminBB
November 19th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Anyone? I cant find any info about why evolution server etc are essential to ubuntu ...

Why cant I get rid of these things without screwing up my install ?

VitaminBB
November 20th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Anyone around now that has an idea about this?

linuxcool
December 2nd, 2008, 12:57 AM
Hello VitaminBB,
While nobody loves you on this forum, we feel for you on the puppy linux forum. There you'll find the love you need.

My advice is to reinstall all the missing dependencies.
Try opening the applications that don't work anymore in the Terminal say for example ./scribus and see what missing dependencies it displays and then install each one at a time until your system works again.

Personally I'd just use my system and when an app didn't work just try opening in terminal and fix as needed.

Puppy linux may not have all the flash of Ubuntu, by it forum is world class!