PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Backing up iPod with Ubuntu

Charlie Chick
November 15th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Hello Everybody,

I use my iPod exclusively with Ubuntu and gtkpod and I would love to make a full backup to save me having to re-build it if something should happen to it. Is there an Linux program that could do this? I don't want to have to go to Windoze.

Thanks,

Charlie

ohzopants
November 18th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Amarok does wonders at iPod management, and it can do exactly that.

As far as I'm concerned it is approximately a gazillion times better and faster than gtkpod.

Charlie Chick
November 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

Charlie

Charlie Chick
November 24th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I've installed Amarok but can't find a way to backup my iPod. Can somebody show me how to do it please?

Thanks.

Charlie Chick
November 24th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I've installed Amarok but can't find a way to backup my iPod. Can somebody show me how to do it please?

Thanks.

Simian Man
November 24th, 2008, 05:02 PM
What do you mean when you say "backup your iPod"? Just copy the song files to your hard drive?

If so Rhythmbox can do that extremely easily. Just drag all of the files to your music library location. For me, Rhythmbox was the only app that worked correctly with my iPod.

Charlie Chick
November 25th, 2008, 12:39 PM
What do you mean when you say "backup your iPod"? Just copy the song files to your hard drive?

If so Rhythmbox can do that extremely easily. Just drag all of the files to your music library location. For me, Rhythmbox was the only app that worked correctly with my iPod.

What I mean is: if my iPod were to be stolen, I can buy another one and restore all my music to the new machine. Like most people I've spent many hours putting music on it and I don't want to have to go through all of that again.

faraz_k86
November 25th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Why dont you just copy and paste the songs.?

Charlie Chick
November 25th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Is it really as easy as that? Copy the playlists (I have 74) into a folder on my external USB drive and copy them back onto a new iPod should the old one die/get stolen?

Simian Man
November 25th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Is it really as easy as that? Copy the playlists (I have 74) into a folder on my external USB drive and copy them back onto a new iPod should the old one die/get stolen?

Rhythymbox allows me to do exactly that. People's experiences with iPod's on Linux seem to be fairly anecdotal though. Just try it!

Charlie Chick
November 25th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it at the weekend.

evilkastel
November 25th, 2008, 03:32 PM
yeah, any music player should work. Amarok is said towork fine, thus it does not wor for me. I use rhytmbox. also, you can copy and paste the tracks and playlists. that should work too. A lot easier and faster to use rhytmbox, tough-

Charlie Chick
November 26th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I tried to back up using Rhythmbox last night. The main problem is that you cannot select all your playlists. SELECT ALL selects all the files within an individual playlist; what I need is to be able to select all the playlists. Otherwise, it'll take forever to manually copy each of the 74 playlists in my iPod!

One other thought: given that an iPod is just a fancy USB drive, could I not use a Ghost style program to back it up that way?

#include
March 4th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I was running into a similar issue and instead of starting a new thread, I searched and found this.

The Rythmbox copy paste feature works just fine, however I am running into a problem (one I'm not sure I can fix without significant manual keying...).

Whenever I copy paste them over, they are saved as ASDF.mp3 instead of my standard Artist - Track Number - Track Name.mp3 format in a Music/Artist/Album filesystem format.

Please tell me there is a means to do this without manual renaming of 6000 (30GB worth of music) songs... PLEASE!!