PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Problem Booting old laptop

jlamr
November 15th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I am trying to install the latest version of xubuntu on an old (5gig) ibm thinkpad laptop. I get to language screen - pick english and then pick new install.

I get some sort of gripe about an acpi error, and then another error that flashes of the screen to quick to read. Then I get a non determinate status bar for about 5 mins, then it acts like it is booting - I get a pixelated flash of the xubuntu splash - and then a black screen, and nothing after that.

I tried adding acpi=off to the boot params, but still get the same type of boot. Is there a known issue on old ibm lappys? I think the xbuntu version is 3.10, and well check the cd for errors. Any other recs appreciated, thanks-

jimmy the saint
November 15th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I would highly recommend trying with a newer version of xubuntu.

ugm6hr
November 15th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Presumably you mean Xubunutu 8.10 (not 3.1).

How much RAM do you have?

xpod
November 15th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Better trying an Alternate cd with that old thing me thinks.

jlamr
November 15th, 2008, 11:11 PM
my bad - version is 8.10

can you recommend a distro? I remember having some flavor of ubuntu (with xfce i think). I really just need a internet notebook for mom. thanks

PoopyTheJ
November 15th, 2008, 11:15 PM
http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs-Xubuntu/8.10/release/

Get the Alternate install CD and see how that works for you. I've had luck with it on some older machines.

ugm6hr
November 16th, 2008, 06:04 PM
can you recommend a distro? I remember having some flavor of ubuntu (with xfce i think). I really just need a internet notebook for mom. thanks

Do you use Ubuntu yourself?

What are the notebook specs - specifically RAM?

cardinals_fan
November 16th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I strongly recommend SliTaz (http://www.slitaz.org/en/).

If you insist on going the Ubuntu route, perform a minimal CLI install and manually add X and a light window manager.