PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changing login name and password

alienexplorers
November 15th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Is there a way to change your login name and password. I setup a computer for my wife and now she does not like it and wants a different name and password. Any help would be appreciated.

Tamlynmac
November 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM
system/administration/User & Groups
Select user name and left click on properties
At bottom of Account Tab - Change password (twice) one is a confirmation.

fiddler616
November 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure you can't change the username.
As a workaround, you could create a new user with the desired username, and then just copy the /home folder.Edit: copy necessary files

jenkinbr
November 15th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure you can't change the username.
As a workaround, you could create a new user with the desired username, and then just copy the /home folder.
I would do this except for copying the home folder - just copy the needed files into a new home folder for the new user. I believe there are many hidden files that are tied to that user, and could cause problems if the whole folder is simply copied.

fiddler616
November 15th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I would do this except for copying the home folder - just copy the needed files into a new home folder for the new user. I believe there are many hidden files that are tied to that user, and could cause problems if the whole folder is simply copied.
Good call, I edited the original post, to avoid confusion.

Iowan
November 16th, 2008, 02:20 AM
It can be done, but it's ugly. You can manually edit /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, and change directory (and ownership) in /home. Then change the password via passwd command. Oh, you'll probably need to edit new user into admin group.
It's probably easier to add another user/password, then copy what you want from the old user.(The new user will need to be added to admin group - unless you don't want her as admin.)