PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] theme install not working

campbuds
November 15th, 2008, 09:35 PM
i downloaded many different vista themes and cannot get one of them to install in ubuntu 8.10. most times it just closes the theme window. or i get an error about it not being a valid theme. I tried a install by drag and drop and with the install button. Nothing.

jenkinbr
November 15th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Where did you get the theme files? It sounds to me like you are trying to import themes ment for Windows Vista into Ubuntu (GNOME), which will not work.

Check out http://www.gnome-look.org/ for a wide variety of themes that should install quick and simple into ubuntu's theme manager.

SunnyRabbiera
November 15th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Not all theme packages will work right away with the theme installer some of them you have to play around with.
First tell us what was the theme you tried to install so we can help.

campbuds
November 15th, 2008, 09:56 PM
well here is one i downloaded. and they are all from this site

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Linsta+Aero+Modified?content=71257

campbuds
November 15th, 2008, 10:57 PM
so should i take it i am screwed?

it would seem to me if I cannot do something simple like change themes then maybe ubuntu isn't for me.

Moop
November 15th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I was able to install the theme you linked to without a problem. If you extract the tar.gz it won't install. Just drag the compressed file into the theme window. Also you obviously need to be using gnome.

HotShotDJ
November 15th, 2008, 11:42 PM
so should i take it i am screwed?No. I installed the theme you linked to flawlessly. It looks hideous -- it gives the warning
This theme will not look as intended because the required GTK+ theme engine " is not installed Unfortunately, the creator of this theme does not provide the information needed to correct this problem. It is an issue of poor documentation by a third-party, NOT a problem with Ubuntu.

(I'll leave the question of WHY you would want your beautiful Ubuntu to look like that horrid OS for another day.)

it would seem to me if I cannot do something simple like change themes then maybe ubuntu isn't for me.It can be done. Easily. Point-and-Click. Brain-Dead Easy. I've done it many times.

System --> Preferences --> Appearance
From the Theme tab, click the Install button
Browse to the directory that contains the theme package (for example, 71257-aero-clone1.tar.gz)
Click on the theme package
Click Open

campbuds
November 15th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I am doing exactly that, but it isn't taking.

I am thinking if i can get it looking more like vista my wife will be more willing to try it

campbuds
November 16th, 2008, 09:25 PM
no other ideas huh?

it seems to me to be a compatibility with the OS and the theme.