PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to safely remove hardware?

josephellengar
November 15th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I always just pull out the cord for my printer. I know that in windows this is a big no-no. I always unmount my flash drives before pulling them out, but I can't figure out what to do to remove the printer. Do I just have to turn it off first?

Steve1961
November 15th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I always just pull out the cord for my printer. I know that in windows this is a big no-no. I always unmount my flash drives before pulling them out, but I can't figure out what to do to remove the printer. Do I just have to turn it off first?

Yes, best to turn it off before pulling the cord

SunnyRabbiera
November 15th, 2008, 09:11 PM

Well it is always best to turn your printer off in this case.
I would not worry about safe removal of printers and scanners but with hard drives its a different story.
Lucky for you linux doesnt hold printers hostage like windows can, though with hardrives and the like its always best to unmount them.
The linux equivalent to safe remove in windows is unmount, if you plug in your external hard drive linux will mount it sort of like windows does.
In terms of removing hard drives linux and windows work very similar, you are given an icon and you hit it to remove or unmount the drive.
But printers, I would not worry about under linux.