PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to run the programming chalanges now LaRoza is gone?

hessiess
November 15th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Who is going to take over the challenges now LaRoza is gone? She sempt to come up with most of them.

snova
November 15th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I question whether anybody should "take over" at all. A more community-driven process by which ideal challenges are chosen would be appropriate.

I propose that there be a thread where propositions are made, and an index kept in the first post. Anybody can suggest a good idea, everybody can review challenges for appropriateness (and thereby suggest changes), and when accepted, the person who came up with it gets to create the challenge thread (or somebody else, it doesn't matter).

CptPicard
November 15th, 2008, 08:39 PM
No need for the bureaucracy... anybody who comes up with an idea and wants to run a programming challenge should just create the thread, end of story. :)

snova
November 15th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Well, sure... maybe it's just me, but I still think a little bit of that wouldn't be amiss.

I suppose it doesn't really matter one way or the other; what will happen will be done...

Either way, an index would be nice. LaRoza kept one, but that's not exactly going to work out, is it?

hessiess
November 15th, 2008, 08:54 PM
No need for the bureaucracy... anybody who comes up with an idea and wants to run a programming challenge should just create the thread, end of story. :)

If there's nobody managing something, something IS going to go wrong, or get messy.

slavik
November 15th, 2008, 09:08 PM
You don't have to be a moderator in order to have a programming challenge contest.

jimi_hendrix
November 15th, 2008, 10:06 PM
well whatever we do i say we get away from the math based challanges that have been poping up lately

Reiger
November 16th, 2008, 02:10 AM
The fun about Math challenges is, however, that there is a known "good" solution on the theoretical level. That means the contest is now more of a programming challenge (how to formulate your problem/solution/course-of-action adequately) than something else.

Which makes it all the more interesting to see how things are done in different languages than those your accustomed to. For instance, I don't really know Scheme (or any kind of Lisp in general) -- but given I know what it ought to output/do I am better able to appreciate the logical structure behind the code and the elegance of a particular solution.

meson2439
November 16th, 2008, 02:37 AM
We could also have challenges of a different sort such as:
1) Translating one code to another langguage

2)Take up one of the bugs and turn them into challanges especially the simpler ones.

3)code optimizations of mathematical problems that took hours to complete. Beating just seconds or minutes doesn't count. Only algorithmic improvements that can beat hours of the problem qualifies.

Also why don't we make new programming challanges thread sticky so that more people can participate???

ZuLuuuuuu
November 16th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Who is going to take over the challenges now LaRoza is gone?

Where does he go?

snova
November 16th, 2008, 03:05 AM
See here: http://laroza77.blogspot.com/2008/11/ubuntuforumsorg-banning.html

jimi_hendrix
November 16th, 2008, 03:44 AM
im going to make a thread asking about what type of challanges people like best...than the more experienced can make them