PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Audacity

Derrick38
November 15th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I use Audacity often under Windows. Always works.

Using it with UBUNTU I can't record from CD. CD plays ok. Sound OK. I have only two options for inputs and neither of them work.

If I let the CD play when the Screen Saver should start the system restarts and I get the log in screen. Nice feature....

If I try to change the screen saver the thing restarts....

Probably doesn't like my video card....

I have a general question: Why does anyone mess with this??? Not fun.

I use XP and Vista with almost no problems.

PierreDeKat
November 15th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I think Ubuntu is best suited to those of us who don't believe that corporations -- like Microsoft -- are the answers to all of our prayers.

Derrick38
November 16th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Actually... I only occasionally pray to Microsoft. I pray to IBM often.

Thanks for the help... I expected less...

metallicamike
November 16th, 2008, 04:03 AM
go to edit>preferences and set BOTH playback AND recording as watever option that has hw:0,0, it wont to playback tho (at least it doesnt for me) so u should export it and listen to it to make sure it will work, as for the screensaver.... you can change that by system>preferences>Screensaver. Hope this helps

Mardoct909
November 16th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I have a general question: Why does anyone mess with this???

It gets us chicks.

Really, though, that question warrants a thread of its own, if you're going to start it.

markbuntu
November 16th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I use Audacity often under Windows. Always works.

Well, I don't use audacity because it is buggy and there are much better and more stable applications for that in linux/ubuntu that always work, like ardour.

I have a general question: Why does anyone mess with this??? Not fun.

I use XP and Vista with almost no problems.
[/QUOTE]

If you feel that way then maybe you should just stick with your windows because this is a work in progress, not the polished bug free environment full of expensive professionally written applications you are used to with XP and Vista.

If you want to try a stable bug free linux distribution, you should check out debian, the new version will be released as soon as the last of the bugs are quashed.

Anyway, Linux is not windows and everything is different so do not expect that it will work "just like windows", it won't. If you do not have the time or patience to learn an entirely new way to do things with your computer besides surfing the web, you will just become frustrated and angry so it would be better for everyone, yourself included, if you just did not bother.

But if you are willing to stick it out while you climb the learning curve, you will find a whole other universe of cool stuff to play with, all for free. If one application does not work as expected, you have a bunch of others to choose from and there are people around who will give you a hand and answer your questions, you can even talk to the people who write them, directly.