PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Port Fowarding

worthawg
November 15th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I installed Joint Operations on 8.04 LTS and get a code nwec 15 within the game when I try to Play on line online. I forwaded The ports I need within the router and established a static IP adress using system> admin > network. Is there anything else I need to do in UBUNTU for port forwarding

Mardoct909
November 15th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Are you running a firewall?

worthawg
November 15th, 2008, 05:02 PM
No firewall. I can connect to the internet through firefox and I can send and recieve e mail

MasterSander
November 15th, 2008, 05:04 PM
That doesn't mean you don't have a firewall.

Mardoct909
November 15th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Things like email and web browsers are automatically setup to be able to get through the firewall. Online play? Not so much.

Tomatz
November 15th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I installed Joint Operations on 8.04 LTS and get a code nwec 15 within the game when I try to Play on line online. I forwaded The ports I need within the router and established a static IP adress using system> admin > network. Is there anything else I need to do in UBUNTU for port forwarding

Are you running it in wine?

worthawg
November 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Yes running it through wine

If I unknowingly have a firewall up how can I determine that? I am a total noob here

InfectedWithDrew
November 15th, 2008, 05:58 PM
You've made sure that your Network Manager has you connecting using that static IP address?

If so, try using a free, online port-checking tool, such as http://www.canyouseeme.org/

Personally, I've never gotten Ubuntu to accept a forwarded port. But checking to see if the basic process was done right is the first step, so make sure that:

Your router has that correct port forwarded.
That port is forwarded for the static IP address you have chosen (i.e. 192.168.1.xxx, xxx being something like 130).
You have set the Network Manager to connect to your specific wireless network with that static IP address.
Your router accepts static IP addresses in that range that you have specified (some routers will not take more than x number of addresses).
You have no firewall software running.

Mardoct909
November 15th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Networking in WINE is rather... Well, games are a better idea in a real Windows install anyways.

worthawg
November 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I tried a few of those port checking sites like you suggested and it seems all the ports I tried to test are blocked including ports like 80,25 110. Is there online tutorial I can walk myself through on this matter?

nu2this2
November 16th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I tried a few of those port checking sites like you suggested and it seems all the ports I tried to test are blocked including ports like 80,25 110. Is there online tutorial I can walk myself through on this matter?

Try-----------www.portforward.com

worthawg
November 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Try-----------www.portforward.com

Already went there and set up the router, I think I my have missed something in UBUBTU itself

worthawg
November 18th, 2008, 05:59 AM
BTW I tried the port checking sites when in windows and tried the ports I forwarded and I KNOW work and these port checking sites still say the ports are blocked!
I think those sites are BS and they are just trying to sell there software!

So can ANYONE help me to ensure I did it correctly within UBUNTU?