PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Beginner cannot install from Live CD (8.10) to SATA (only drive, dual w/ WinXP)

MissouriKnight
November 15th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I am trying to install 8.10 onto my SATA drive, which already contains WinXP. I previously used Partition Magic in Windows to set up some partitions for Linux. When I try to install Ubuntu 8.10 from within the Live CD, within Linux, not Windows, I get to the screen that shows partitions, and no partitions show up.

Can anyone help me? :confused:

MissouriKnight ](*,)

MissouriKnight
November 15th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Bump

shifty_powers
November 15th, 2008, 03:07 PM
i had the same problem. rather than going through the livecd, when you boot up and it goes to the intitial menu, use the install option rather than boot the cd.

iirc, it is something to do with not being able to detect mounted partitions, or something along those lines.

anyways, the abpve solved the probelm for me...

oilchangeguy
November 15th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I am trying to install 8.10 onto my SATA drive, which already contains WinXP. I previously used Partition Magic in Windows to set up some partitions for Linux. When I try to install Ubuntu 8.10 from within the Live CD, within Linux, not Windows, I get to the screen that shows partitions, and no partitions show up.

Can anyone help me? :confused:

MissouriKnight ](*,)

your post does not make much sense. first you don't need to use third party partition apps. the ubuntu cd has a partition manager included. now for the not making sense part, you're trying to install 8.10 from within the live cd, from within linux?????????????????????? and you get to the screen that shows partitions, and there are none???????????????????? read this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

MissouriKnight
November 15th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Shifty_Powers, thanks for the advice.

I will try that. :D

MissouriKnight

shifty_powers
November 15th, 2008, 03:16 PM
cool, np's.

if all else fails, download the alternate cd, it is not a livecd and has a text based installer. it is intended as a failsafe in these sitatuions...

ugm6hr
November 15th, 2008, 11:26 PM

Delete those partitions you created to leave "unallocated / empty space"

Then try again.

If you don't understand Linux partitions, best to use the "Use largest free space" guided install option.

If you do understand partitions - Ubuntu requires at least 1 ext3 & 1 linux swap partition.

Duck2006
November 15th, 2008, 11:40 PM
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed _first.htm